Audio problem required urgent solution

Hello, My computer has sound problem. It just stopped. I reinstalled the driver but of no use. Then i reinstalled windows XP and the driver AUD_XP_5.10.0.6201_PV from Intel website. My board is D945GCNL. I have googled on the issue many times and tried whatever i could understand. I have checked the Device Manager, there is no yellow mark, i have updated the software and it says that the software is updated. There seems to be no problem with the driver. I have checked BIOS settings and in peripheral configuration, the Audio legacy Panel is ENABLED.

While searching, I read that in BIOS, BOARD SOUND should be enabled, but i have checked BIOS settings, Board sound isn't present, only Audio legacy Panel is, which is already enabled. The speakers are also OK cause i checked them on my friends PC.

Please help..........;(

Hi eglantine, welcome to Techspot
Have you tried to enable the "Device" in Computer Management ?
From the "Desktop" Icons
> left click once on "My Computer"
> then right click mouse button to expose drop-down menu
> left click to select "Manage"
> from the list under the heading "Computer Management (local)" select "Device Manager"
> from the Menu in the right window panel select "Sound, video and game controllers"
> left click your device "Intel® HD Audio"
> right click the mouse button and from this drop-down menu select "Properties"
> at the bottom of the table left hand corner, is the heading "Device Usage" and below a window which should let you select either
(i) Do not use this device (disable)
(ii) Use this device (enable)

hope this helps

You could try this. in 'Start' type msinfo32 in the left pane, expand 'components'.
Click on 'sound device'. Check both status entries.
Next expand 'Problem devices' Anything listed ?

I'll assume that you Rebooted after loading all the new drivers and such?
Check Windows left-click the volume icon in the system tray & verify the audio is not muted & is turned up.(Ensure all options are on and turned up)
Do you have audio through headphones if yes continue trouble shooting internal/other speakers.
Next right-click the volume icon & choose "playback devices" confirm that you audio speakers have a green check-mark next to them (you have already opened device manager & enabled the device).
You may have a missing or corrupt driver for your audio controller. Uninstall the driver by opening Device Manager (type device manager at the start menu search box) going to 'sound,video and game controllers' selecting the audio controller & pressing the<Delete> key. Reboot the system and allow Windows to reinstall the driver which it should do automatically. If it doesn't download it from PC makers site or audio manufacturer's site and reinstall it manually.
You may have inadvertently patched ( through a Windows Update) broken the driver
ROLL BACK A BAD DRIVER
Open device manager control panel. Browse to the device who driver you wish to roll back. Double-click the device in question. On the properties tab/screen click the Driver tab~ click 'Roll Back Driver' and follow the wizard to revert to the previous loaded driver. A restart will be required. If the option is greyed out an older driver is not available. You should be able to recover it by using Windows System Restore function which will also undo driver installations.
Another thing you could do which has worked for me is to go to OpenAL & download and run the compatible open source driver ( I'm not able to provide the link I will edit it into the text later when I'm next sitting at my computer)
Hope this helps

Thankyou mike1959..I couldn't open " msinfo32" by typing ..but found it in accessories.Nothing is listed in the Problem devices... I'm attaching the image just to make sure tht I opened the correct one..
View attachment misifo-sounddevices.bmp

View attachment misinfo-problem devices.bmp

Thank you ucould2 ..Yes I have rebooted....I use both headphones and speakers....
I have checked and done everything you'v suggested. Except for two.....
You'v written to click volume icon & choose "playback devices". Is this the volume icon in the system tray, at the bottom right of screen. When I right click tht icon, I only get two options, " Open Volume control and " Adjust Audio Properties"....???

I can't find compatible opensource drive in OpenAL ....

There is one thing which is confusing me. Before the sound stopped whenever I plugged the device in the jack, Audio I/O of the Realteak HD audio Manager helped to set the jack right. . but now it doesn't display whenever I plug in the device. Though "the auto popup when device is plugged in" is already enabled....I have attached the pic of what I am talking abt....
Does this have to do anything with this issue or its not important if it displays or not?View attachment Realtek HD audio.bmp

Is this the Link

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Attachments

• system tray.bmp
    190 KB · Views: 6
Thank you ucould2 ..Yes i have rebooted....I use both headphones and speakers....
I have checked and done everything you'v suggested. Except for two.....
You'v written to click volume icon & choose "playback devices". Is this the volume icon in the system tray, at the bottom right of screen. When I right click tht icon, I only get two options, " Open Volume control and " Adjust Audio Properties"....???

Adjust Both "Open Volume Control" push the slider to Full volume "Adjust Audio Properties" push all sliders to full (not the Microphone) and ensure all the check boxes are clear ~DO~ "Mute" the microphone.
I can't find compatible opensource drive in OpenAL ....

This is a page further on from where you were opened at OpenAL this file is orientated towards the installed O/S yours is Windows XP. Download the file and store it somewhere safe like in it's own folder. Unzip the file from there and proceed to "Run" (assuming you are the "Administrator") You don't need to keep the opened file....I did it so many, many times Windows discards it for me now !!
~Reboot~

There is one thing which is confusing me. Before the sound stopped whenever i plugged the device in the jack, Audio I/O of the Realteak HD audio Manager helped to set the jack right. . but now it doesn't display whenever i plug in the device. Though "the auto popup when device is plugged in" is already enabled....I have attached the pic of what i am talking abt....
Does this have to do anything with this issue or its not important if it displays or not?

I got so sick of this thing working and then not working then working again that I went to a local computer shop and bought and old Creative XFi sound card (without driver installation CD). You will probably find a new Card and install CD for under $30.00AUS
I did little research on the side and have a Quote from the Intel site which you might consider as well if you can do a Re-Install of Windows?
1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
2. Look for the following two items: Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver and High Definition Audio driver Package - KB888111.
3. If these items are listed in Add/Remove programs, remove them.
4. Restart Windows.
5. Download the latest audio driver for your desktop board from Download Center.
6. Double-click the filename to extract the files.
7. Go to the folder where the files have been extracted and browse to the \HDAQFE\xpsp2\us\ folder or the \MSHDQFE\Win2K_XP\us\ folder. (The name of this folder depends on your desktop board model.)
8. Double-click the file kb888111xpsp2.exe to install the High Definition Audio Driver Package.
9. Restart Windows.
10. Install the audio driver.

If the above steps do not resolve the problem, try reinstalling Windows as follows:
1. Disable audio in BIOS before the installing Windows:
o During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
o Disable audio on the Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu.
o Press F10 to Save and Exit.
2. Install Windows.
3. Install the latest Service Pack for your version of Windows.
4. Install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility (INF Utility).
5. Install all of rest of the latest drivers for your board, EXCEPT the audio driver.
6. Re-enable audio in BIOS:
o During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
o Enable audio on the Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu.
o Press F10 to Save and Exit.
7. Restart the system and cancel any “new hardware found” messages.
8. Install the latest audio driver.
9. Restart the system.

Here is a link to the Micro soft site for KB888111 just be careful there are instructions to alter your registry which can destroy the way your computer normally operates. Ask for assistance if you think you will need it and back up the registry before you make any changes

In your first post about this, you mentioned on 'board device enabled', so it's just means 'on-board audio device enabled'. It might be worth checking in the BIOS if the audio is enabled. That's in 'On-board devices' ,'integrated audio', then Enable.
I agree with @mike1959 and I found instructions relating to your D945GCNL board:
"You may have disabled the integrated audio component in the BIOS. To fix this, enter the BIOS setup program by pressing <F2> during the boot process. Once in the BIOS setup utility, select the Advanced menu, then choose the Peripheral Configuration submenu. Once there, change the setting for Audio to Enabled. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system"
Also drivers are able to be obtained directly from the Intel Download Centre here you just need to enter in you product details / Operating System / Drivers
hope this helps

Back