AVG and Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISHA8725

I've been noticing with several people that once AVG is installed it is keeping Outlook (2003 or 2007) from displaying embedded images in Emails. In some cases it also blocks any attachments completely. Since it is the free version Grisoft will not help. I have tried everything I could find. Nothing is working.

You can turn off the e-mail scanner to get around the problem. Or purchase a commercial anti-virus program.

Best,
-- Andy

Well you get what you pay for!

You might want to uninstall AVG, restart, re-install and see if it corrects the problem.

BTW, is there some consistency in the images and e-mail attachments it's blocking? Perhaps the AVG is working, it's the content you're receiving.

Best,
-- Andy

This is the third person I've had this happen to. Uninstall, restart, reinstall, re-download another installation....everything. And it's all messages, not just a few select forwarded plain text emails like that. I understand it's a free program. I was simply just asking if anybody had ever found a fix.

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that you've tried re-installing AVG and it didn't solve the problem?

Best,
-- Andy

Sorry to ask another nitpick question but did you ensure you downloaded the latest updates for AVG? I assume you checked that but want to be sure.

IIRC, Office Outlook uses add-ons much like Internet Explorer. Try checking add-ons and see if there are options within it.

Best,
-- Andy

The only kind of add-ons to be found that might intervene was the AVG safe security search and email scanner function...I think I'm at a dead end.

Were there any settings for the AVG add-on in Office Outlook? I don't have Office Outlook on my PC so I can't check.

Best,
-- Andy

Are you running any other anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall program (i.e. ZoneAlarm) in the background? Or is it just AVG?

Best,
-- Andy

Just AVG. I had to remove expired Avast! and installed AVG. As soon as you uninstall AVG and restart the computer, the problem goes away.

Try this:

AVG -> Tools -> Advanced Settings ... -> E-mail Scanner -> Certify E-mail <uncheck>

See if that works. Try also playing with some of the other E-mail Scanner settings.

Best,
-- Andy

I just did that and I forwarded a message from myself with embedded messages and it seems ok. We'll wait and see until he gets one of his newsletter emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back