Awf infection: where and how to start please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
after googling and reading lots of forums i realized that there is no way for me to solve my problem unless i use the help of some expert user.. so the thing is that my friend's pc is in really bad shape, it all started when she called me in to help her change the time of her pc, so i noticed an error message stating that i dont have enough privilege as administrator or something like this (btw we were logged as administrator), so then i thought maybe changing account type will help, but to my surprise there was no way to actually find "control panel", thats when i realized this wasnt gonna be easy.. so after long searches on google i finally got to the conclusion that we have a major awf infection.

now my real problem is that i never used hijackthis, or any of the tools used in all the forums i read.. so i kindly ask anybody here to guide me from a to z through this cleaning process thing ( im no noob when it comes to other things, but honestly this is the first time i ever hear about "awf infections").

i suppose the first thing u need is a report from hjt, but im currently home, so after a confirmation from u guys ill download required tools and perform scans and upload reports as soon as possible..

thanks in advance for all the help im gonna find here..

HighjackThis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in its own folder, usually C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis. Please don't change the directory as it is necessary to create backups.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete attach the log into your reply.
Do not attempt to fix any item yet.
Do not add anything to the ignore list.
Don't use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.

I need you to follow all the steps HERE and then post back with the three requested logs as attachments
  • AVG antispyware
  • ComboFix
  • Hijackthis (step 15)

Dont forget to make sure that AVG is set to quarantine the results, that HJT is the last step and to let us know the results of the antirootkit scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back