Backing up a Mac

Hi, I'm attempting to back up my iphotos onto an external portable hard drive. Before I deleted all 7000 photos, I did a test to see if the photos were indeed backed up. Here's what happened; I deleted a few photos from the iphotos application (went into trash) on my computer and closed iphoto. Then I plugged in the hard-drive (already backed up) and opened the iphotos from there. The photos I had thrown in the trash on my computer were also in the trash on the hard drive copy.. I'm not a computer genius, so if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

May be version dependent.. On OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) the Photos app (iPhoto was discontinued in 2015 with release of OS X 10.10). So if you indeed do have iPhoto I'm not sure this is going to be of any help. In Photos 1.5 you just select what you want to back up (select them all if you want all 7000) and then File -> Export, there you have the option to export the original unmodified ones or the modified ones (if you've done any editing to them). It has a pull down for what file name convention to use and what subfolder format you want.

Hi SNGX1275, Thank you for your response. So, I'm currently making a time machine back up now (never set that up before) and it is in process, but it looks like I can export as well, which is what I"m going to try right after the back up is done. I'll see if that works as well. This is a super old Mac - OSX10.6.8

Knowing just where you've store your pics is a good start to creating a backup plan.

I'm a structure freak and our pics are in Documents::Our Pictures and from there, it's easy to backup that location by several means.

Back