Bad Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this issue is a bad power supply, but im not positive.

I was playing Age of Conan, when all of a sudden, my computer shuts down... thinking it was possibly overheating, i let it rest a moment, then attempt to reboot, the front panel lights flash, i hear a clicking, then nothing.

I then remove my case and look inside, its warm but i dont smell any smoke or burning electrical equipment. I attempt to boot one more time, the fan on the cpu starts to spin, clicks a couple times and then nothing.

I see no signs of overheating, no scorching, no smell of burning components.

The light on the motherboard indicating that it has power remains on, but the system does nothing from this point on, even after pressing the power button.

first try some memory/hdd diags if you wanna save some money.

but yeah sounds like bad psu...swap out with a new one to check. and if it isn't a bad supply at least you have a new one, it won't be a waste of money. this problem is especially common if you have a pre-built computer (i.e. emachines, hp..)
that should do it. if it doesn't, come back tell me whats goin on then.

The clicking if most often an indication that the hard drive has gone bad, particularly with a Western Digital or a Maxtor. Suggest you test with another hard drive

Thanks for your quick replies. It turns out it was the powersupply, the second power supply I hooked up, I didn't reconnect the front power switch, lol, newb mistake. Once the front panel power switch was connect, system booted up fine

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back