Battery not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a new battery in my Dell Latitude D610. I received instructions to upgrade the BIOS but forgot to do it. When I used battery power it ran down and I plugged in AC power. I saw it was down to 6% and would not charge. I tried to update BIOS now but it requires 10% power. What can I do?

Try running the old battery again, or try running with no battery at all.
Have you visually compared the batteries to make sure they are both exact?

i do not have the old battery. I can run the computer with AC power but it is not charging the battery. The batteries are the same. I think it is because I forgot to update the BIOS for the new battery so it is not recognizing it. I do not know how to get around this issue.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never heard of BIOS updates affecting battery charges.
If your computer works on AC power, why can't you update the BIOS under AC?

When I got the battery there was a message to update the BIOS, which I forgot to do. Now when I try to do it, a message appears that the battery must be over 10% charge to flash it and it will not let me proceed. Dell says updating may solve the problem or it may be the battery slot in the motherboard which would require a replacement. I am going to try to find another machine to get the battery charged and see if I can change the BIOS, otherwise I am stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back