Battlefield V patch adds DLSS and optimized ray tracing on PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? The long-awaited DLSS update for Battlefield V is about to arrive. What sort of performance benefits can you expect on PC? Check back with TechSpot soon for our full benchmarking report.

The latest update for Battlefield V is a big one for PC gamers. In addition to adding four-player co-op with Combined Arms, Battlefield V now supports Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) technology.

As Nvidia explained in its in-depth technical guide to Turing last September, DLSS leverages deep neural networks to extract features from a rendered scene. By combining details from multiple frames, the tech is able to construct high-quality imagery at a fraction of the performance cost of traditional anti-aliasing.

EA in its patch notes said the update also includes further optimizations to DXR ray tracing performance. We are currently reevaluating Battlefield V’s performance with this new patch. Assuming all goes well, we should have a full report on the matter ready by tomorrow morning (Update: it's going to take us a little longer as the patch was delayed by 24 hours).

Combined Arms is a permanent Battlefield V co-op experience in which you and up to three friends can challenge AI enemies across eight PVE missions to hone your skills before jumping into multiplayer matches.

The full range of bug fixes and weapon balancing can be found in EA’s patch notes.

EA also announced the return of fan-favorite multiplayer mode Rush although it won’t arrive until March 7.

Permalink to story.

So, now we have as many as one game that has improved performance thanks to dlss on rtx cards?
RTX cards now will be swept from the store shelves like hot pies I predict.
I ,however, will be waiting for 80% of all popular games supporting this technology to upgrade.
And then they see their stock keep dropping. Should have delayed release of this tech and instead just made cheaper 11xx series cards without rays.

So, now we have as many as one game that has improved performance thanks to dlss on rtx cards?
RTX cards now will be swept from the store shelves like hot pies I predict.
I ,however, will be waiting for 80% of all popular games supporting this technology to upgrade.
And then they see their stock keep dropping. Should have delayed release of this tech and instead just made cheaper 11xx series cards without rays.
Maybe nVidia was stuck at a performance plateau and needed to add ray tracing to be able to market this generation. /sarcasm

Maybe nVidia was stuck at a performance plateau and needed to add ray tracing to be able to market this generation. /sarcasm

I agree with you, but one thing I don't understand, why are they pushing RTX cards so hard?
They even shot themselves in the leg...shareholders are taking risk with team green and considering to sell their shares
Although this RTX/DLSS is same when Physx released I needed 2-3 gen to get full power, now everything using it, but the card prices are ridiculous, everyone thought that the 10 series card so expensive, and now the prices are nearly doubled...
Also they could've been waited for another 6 months (release an RTX and non-RTX cards), the Radeon VII still not impose a real threat.

And yet another useless version of Anti-aliasing that makes the image clarity worse then prior versions. Well no kidding you get an FPS gain when you reduce image quality, that's usually the outcome. The video itself clearly shows TAA looks far superior. And do we really need all this Anti-Aliasing with how high of pixel counts we have now days? 2k and 4K, a slight dose of MSAA still reigns supreme. It's not like anyone games at 800x600 anymore:joy:

Back