BBC subpoenas Microsoft to identify Doctor Who leaker

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Leaking unreleased movies, TV shows, or music is a practice that companies take very seriously—just ask the BBC. The British Broadcasting Corporation is so desperate to find the person or persons responsible for the Doctor Who footage that appeared online recently that it’s demanding Microsoft help it out.

The long-running UK show, which is popular on both sides of the Atlantic, will soon see Jodie Whittaker’s full-season debut as she becomes the first female to take on the Time Lord role. While the episode is still several months away, footage appeared online in June.

The BBC, understandably angry at the leak, has turned to the US legal system to discover the perpetrator. TorrentFreak spotted a DMCA subpoena filed by the broadcaster at a federal court in Washington that’s aimed at Microsoft. As the footage was stored and shared via OneDrive, the BBC is demanding the Windows maker identify the owner of the account that leaked the file, titled ‘IMG_ l563.TRIM.MOV.’

The BBC, which says the footage was stolen from its studios, wants Microsoft to reveal “any name, account name, address, telephone number, email address, birth date, profile photo, device information, browser information, location information, information from others (e.g., Facebook or Google+) and time posted.”

This marks the second time that the BBC has tried to identify the source of the leak. Last month, it obtained another DMCA subpoena, this one from a California federal court, that ordered forum app Tapatalk to identify who posted links to the Doctor Who clip. We still don’t know what, if anything, was revealed in this case.

“We will strive to protect our programme-makers, audiences and license-fee payers from any breaches of security – ensuring Doctor Who fans enjoy the final and fully completed version of the episode when it premieres,” said the BBC.

Permalink to story.

In no way do I condone piracy, however, it does not surprise me that the BBC is pursuing this with vigor. Even two or three year old seasons of DW on BR go retail on Amazon for $45+ US and also sell at that price on the BBC site. Don't even mention Classic DW as they are nearly as expensive if not more so. If the BBC decided to drop its prices or exit the exclusive streaming agreement with crApazon, I am willing to bet that they would sell significantly more copies of both classic and current DW.

DW seems to be BBC's cash cow and probably helps pay for a lot of other BBC material, too.

I'll wait until I can find it either used or new at a reasonable price.

The clip is 53 seconds long and simply shows the new doctor trying to remember things a half-our after the latest regeneration. I would be surprised to learn that this is NOT a BBC PR stunt as there is nothing in it that is a spoiler in any way. In fact, it makes a great ad for season 11. https://track9.mixtape.moe/cdzrkz.webm

The clip is 53 seconds long and simply shows the new doctor trying to remember things a half-our after the latest regeneration. I would be surprised to learn that this is NOT a BBC PR stunt as there is nothing in it that is a spoiler in any way. In fact, it makes a great ad for season 11. https://track9.mixtape.moe/cdzrkz.webm
A publicity stunt would not surprise me either. As a long-time DW fan, both classic and the current generation, there are always scenes like this right after a regeneration. I do not think any regeneration has been without such a scene - so it is nothing new.

I heard about the new 13 DW was going to be a woman. They're shooting new DW with the new theme plus logo as well. Woman should brighted up the Tardus a bit. Don't you agree No.1

I heard about the new 13 DW was going to be a woman. They're shooting new DW with the new theme plus logo as well. Woman should brighted up the Tardus a bit. Don't you agree No.1
I just hope they do the characters and story justice and it doesn't end up like the last season where it was all about "girl powa!" with paper thin characters. Women can be done right, just look at the Mass Effect series or Marvel's Jessica Jones.

In no way do I condone piracy, however, it does not surprise me that the BBC is pursuing this with vigor. Even two or three year old seasons of DW on BR go retail on Amazon for $45+ US and also sell at that price on the BBC site. Don't even mention Classic DW as they are nearly as expensive if not more so. If the BBC decided to drop its prices or exit the exclusive streaming agreement with crApazon, I am willing to bet that they would sell significantly more copies of both classic and current DW.

DW seems to be BBC's cash cow and probably helps pay for a lot of other BBC material, too.

I'll wait until I can find it either used or new at a reasonable price.
I just wait for it to show up at my local library. e.g.: I'm already on the wait list for the 'wasp and ant team'. :)

I just hope they do the characters and story justice and it doesn't end up like the last season where it was all about "girl powa!" with paper thin characters. Women can be done right, just look at the Mass Effect series or Marvel's Jessica Jones.
There were people who did not like characters like Donna Noble because she was not all that bright, however, I really liked her. I have not seen the last companion after Clara, but I thought they did a good job of writing Clara and Jenna Coleman strikes me as an excellent actress. However, I will have to take Bob's hint, renew my library card, and get the last two seasons of Capaldi's reign. I really liked his first season - to me, it seemed a lot like some of the classic DW episodes.

Back