Benchmark software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really into benchmarking anymore but I've used 3DMark/Vantage and some others that were released by game developers (i.e. Stalker benchmark by GSC Game World). Is there any particular reason you are looking for such software? Other than just getting scores...

Depends what ya are looking for, 3DMark/Vantage are nice like EXC said and pretty much every review site uses it. But if you're looking for more real world numbers that your system is producing in games use Fraps. I personally use it when wanting to see my min/max and average on games. Works great for when you are tweaking around hardware or even the settings in the game to see what works best for your system. I also use MSI Afterburner/Kombuster for Ocing/testing and benchmarking but not that often. Hope this helps :) .

Benchmarks arn't that useful, in my opinion.

Wha??

I guess it depends what one is doing with them. Getting the biggest number to show off probably isn't the most useful but looks awesome :grinthumb . But if you're using it to check how your system is performing and want to improve it in games its nice imo.

Crysis benchmark tool is quite scenic, I rather like running it as a screen saver, obviously it stresses your computer though.

well my friend has a pretty decent build going on for a gamming pc, i told him that if his machine cant play crysis its crap! lol so he wants to tweak his machine here and there to ensure he gets the most outta it.
thanks for all your help.

lol that's kinda not true... Crysis is a heavily demanding game that even the beefiest systems struggle to run. i haven't seen a single machine (even i7-based) that can run that game at maximum settings without some sort of hitch; above or near 60fps, And yes, that means DX10 and all high-end effects like god rays enabled @ full resolution. impossible.

for a better image of PC engines here's a list from least demanding to most:

Source Engine
Counter Strike
Half-Life 2
Portal
Left 4 Dead

Unreal Engine
Unreal Tournament 3
BioShock 1-2
Mass Effect 1-2
Borderlands
Batman AA

X-Ray Engine
The STALKER series

Cry Engine or Dunia
Crysis + DLC
Far Cry 2

I'd say if his computer can run Source through X-Ray it's a decent system. Crysis is the exception of game engines because it's so heavy and uses so many resources. Sure, PC's that can run the game at reasonably-high settings are better but it's still scalable to where it doesn't really matter.

I personally feel that the X-Ray Engine is also pretty unoptimised. I play Crysis Warhead at Enthusiast Settings, 1280x1024, 4xAA and frames are around 40-50. At Gamer, they're about 50-60. On very few occasions do they drop to 30 and lower.

However, I get about 20-30 frames on trying to play Clear Sky with all details set to the highest. I have to sacrifice on the lighting effects to be able to play without dropping frames.

^The X-Ray engine is without a doubt unoptimized, but you can gain a lot of frames by simply dropping the texture resolution or by using the Float32 mod. Honestly, I wish the stalker series was built on a different engine because they are great games that I feel are held back by the very technology that powers them. Don't use ANY AA w/ any stalker game... destroys performance.

I have maximum AA enabled. My main drop in frames results from those lighting effects like sun rays.

And I must agree with you ExcellR8. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is awesome. Will start on Call of Pripyat tomorrow! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back