Best Android Smartphone Battery Life

Julio Franco

Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Great article, but people interested in better battery life will find it. I only buy 3500 mah or higher battery capacity (currently on 4000). I really don't care if it makes my phone slightly thicker or weigh an extra 50g.

I used to have the Nexus 5X and that thing was disastrous when it came to battery life. I really don't like my phone dictating when I need to charge it like it's some kind of tamagochi. My mom on the other hand doesn't care, so each to his own I guess...

You know what would help give really long battery life numbers? Removable batteries! I want my 10000 MaH bricks again!

It's our fault battery life isn't what we like to see. We demand huge screens with ultra high res (we get that). We demand the best cameras with fancy OIS which draws power (we get that to). We demand little to no bezel at all (Ditto). We demand high performance APU's (It's no surprise we get that as well). We demand paper thin devices (we're almost there). Now we want fingerprint recognition everywhere, no where we put our grubby paws on it... and retina scanning as well for good measure. All of this draws power so something must suffer with all the demands we chuck at manufacturers hence the demise of useful features like home buttons and 3.5mm jacks, yet we want that too. Current battery tech hasn't evolved for decades and isn't likely to do so either anytime soon so just accept things for what they are.
It would be nice to have all the stuff we now take for granted, and a battery that lasts for at least a fortnight but right now that's simply impossible, even for a *mystical and revolutionary* company like Apple.

No sony no interest. Shame everyone hates their phones for some reason. Pixel is kind of interesting but only if put against sony.

It's our fault battery life isn't what we like to see.
To me battery life is less important that quick charging. I have a galaxy S7 and between quick charge and wireless quick charging I am never both using my phone that much and away from a charger long enough to let my phone get below 50%.

Whenever it gets below 60% it goes on the charge. It takes 40 minutes at most to hit 100%, 15-20 to be near 90%.

You know what would help give really long battery life numbers? Removable batteries! I want my 10000 MaH bricks again!

Then tell manufacturers to make phones THICK again. This slim, sexy & stylish crap has us where we are today.
To make a phone thin, they removed the protective casing around the battery. This gives them the ability to "mold" the battery to fit the area left. Unfortunately, since there isn't a protective casing around the battery, and, given the lawsuit happy world we live in, coupled with the stupidity of your "common man", the battery has to be enclosed inside the phone to prevent you from damaging it trying to remove/replacing it. Plus, they remove the connections and what not associated with a removable battery, to make them even thinner.
If people would get off this "designer fashion" crap, perhaps phones could gain some weight, and bigger batteries.
I for one, don't even LOOK at a phone, with a smaller than 4,000mAH battery. My last two phones, Mate2, and current phone, Mate8, have 4,000mAH batteries that can last 2 days with moderate to heavy use, and they sure didn't cost what some of these flagships want.

Cherish every moment of your Mi6's battery life. You're gonna miss it when they ruin it with an update.
Xiaomi owners will know what I'm talking about.

FYI everyone reading this, this article doesn't include the current market leader in terms of battery life: the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. 5,000mAh battery which easily lasts all day and potentially all of the next one too. It would win this review by quite a margin.

It would be interesting to see how the first Moto Z Play performs, it has better battery than the Moto Z2 Play.

My Samsung Galaxy J7 model J700T1 has great battery life and it's removable too. Not a flagship but works for me.

Never paid more than $100 for any cell phone. But the Bold Like Us (BLU) R1 model has proven to me to be the absolute best bang for the buck. Of course the battery is built-in as I expect it to be to get this much power in reserve. Your article covered the big boys just fine but I prefer achieving close to the same results for $79.

Scorpus said:
To be fair, from the dozens of phones we've tested in the past couple of years, very few have had terrible battery performance.
I don't agree that any of those tests give you factual...well, relevant data.
The issue with battery's isn't how well they perform in the first 6 months.

Use all of these phones tested, daily, for about 12-18 months, then do these tests.
Then this review might have some validity.

I don't use my S6 any differently then I did when I got it.
I get about 50% of the battery I used to, if that. I got my S6 NIB last September, so its less then a year old.

Last edited:
Scorpus said:
To be fair, from the dozens of phones we've tested in the past couple of years, very few have had terrible battery performance.
I don't agree that any of those tests give you factual data.
The issue with battery's isn't how well they perform in the first 6 months.

Use all of these phones tested, daily, for about 18 months, then do these tests.
Then this review might have some validity.

I don't use my S6 any differently then I did when I got it.
I get about 50% of the battery I used to, if that. I got my S6 NIB last September, so its less then a year old.

Sorry but this is silly - by that time there will be new phones to test. Long term life is important, but it's not easy to review it and then present it as news. Customers generally want to know what's going to give them the best battery life out of the box - if it's still serving you well a couple of years later, that's a nice added bonus.

Sorry but this is silly - by that time there will be new phones to test. Long term life is important, but it's not easy to review it and then present it as news. Customers generally want to know what's going to give them the best battery life out of the box - if it's still serving you well a couple of years later, that's a nice added bonus.

Your 100% correct and this is a great review, its just that battery life consistency is a pet peeve of mine for some reason.

Hoping that the 4k test was Not included in the averages - if my next phone Hoovers my battery if I play 4k-content on my 5-ish inch screen.. hmm, yeah, I can live with that.
Ludicrous-land sez me.. (my lame attempt at Tact)

This article has wrong title. There are a lot of other Android phones that have MUCH better battery life than these overpriced bricks and they are not in here :)

Back