Best Budget Intel B660 Motherboards, VRM Thermal Test

This looks like a lot of work for cheapie motherboards, I wouldn't buy any of these. I am not surprised by Asrock's poor performance, they've been doing a VRM dance for years. Are the number on the charts squinchy on your end,? it could be prob with Firefox.

Last edited:
This is really disappointing. I'd be bummed out if I couldn't afford or didn't want a Z series board.
Hopefully 13th gen boards are MUCH better.

This looks like a lot of work for cheapie motherboards, I wouldn't buy any of these. I am not surprised by Asrock's poor performance, they've been doing a VRM dance for years. Are the number on the charts squinchy on your end,? it could be prob with Firefox.
The MSI board actually looks pretty decent, but it‘s already at $140 - when available. Amazon lists it for much more.

As far as the review goes, I very much doubt a potential customer will have anywhere near the cooling/case set-up used in this review.

Otoh, if they stick to a 12400 that should be OK.

I find the fact that performance seems to be all over the place when it comes to entry level B660 boards a bit disconcerting.

This is really disappointing. I'd be bummed out if I couldn't afford or didn't want a Z series board.
Hopefully 13th gen boards are MUCH better.
Doubt it, there is a clear trend for motherboards to become even more expensive, probably AM5 motherboards are also going to be really expensive.
But I still hope for better cheaper boards.

MSI makes really good motherboards, it's almost always the brand I buy for the mobo, EVGA for power supply, Corsair for RAM. Solid, quality products that I stick with. Unfortunately, I had to settle for Zotac for my GPU this time because it was all that was available, but, it's been pretty solid so far.

Pathetic VRMs considering how hot and power hungry is 12th Gen. 120+ degress - what is this? This is even dangerous for an average user, when the PC gets dusty, it will raise even above. The users should be clearly informed that their CPU choice is limited to only 12400 maximum.

This is the most pathetic line up I have seen in a long time!!

Thank you MSI for saving the butt of the article....

It would appear that most of these motherboards can only run Celeron, Pentium and Core i3 CPUs. If you want to run Core i5, i7 and i9 processors, only the MSI, Soyo and Maxsun motherboards are worth considering.

Having said that, if I had a K processor, I would be getting the Z690 boards. So it is a moot point.

Hi
What would be the best budget mb for I5-12400 ?
I am inclined towards Asus B660m k d4 as it is within my budget and it is having Vrm heat sink
Can it handle without any Throttling issue

Be careful there, that's not the Asus Prime B660M-A D4. It's the WIFI version, they are different.
The Asus Prime B660M-A D4 has less heatsinks and no M.2 cover plate... I'm sure would give different results.

Now I'm doubting the integrity of this test, and other tests.

@Steve I think you neglected to mention if these were all DDR-4 boards, or some were DDR-5. I have the Gigabyte B660M-DS3H DDR-4. So I was wondering if it was being compared score-wise to boards withh DDR-5.

In the face of some critical adversity, I still always build with Gigabyte boards. Reasoning that they always boot on the first try, and I've never had one fail. In fact, the 16 YO G-31 board still works just fine. Although admittedly I have no shame with regard to equipment, nor is it a match for today's internet or Firefox.

So, I paired the DS3H with an i3-12100 (A real one, not the crippled F model), and a GTX-1660 ti. This leaves me in an awkward situation whereby it's way overkill for home theater, and obviously underwhelming as a gaming PC. I mean you don't really need ray tracing to play DVD rips, do you?

Anyhoo, if the onboard sound card is a good as Gigabyte claims, I may have to give up running my "mixed tapes", on my ancient Sony CD changer, and join the modern world of "playlists".

In its favor, it is a 4 RAM slot board, with RGB no less. (The RGB is pretty much wasted on me though).

I do have a question though, "would anybody in their right mind actually stuff a 13900K in this thing"? I mean really, it doesn't have enough fancy heat sinks, it's too small, and it doesn't have a fierce enough name, ("Dominator", "Intimidator", "Plunderer", et al), to be be emotionally satisfying to a gaming addict. Sorry, I meant "aficionado", or possibly "enthusiast".

Back