Best Security software program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munch2477

I am tired of paying McAfee $80 a year to use a security program that probably doesnt even matter that much for me. I have never once had a virus in 4 years and i do scans every month. Is there a good free program that I can download that will cover me? I have adaware and that seems to work well but I would like a security program from everything else. Thanks

This is an area where there is NO best, but there are only about 18 very good programs out of the 87 programs available. What security system are you using now.
We need to know your computer, operating system, and other useful operational information.
You will get a lot of opinions on this site... from which you can choose, or create a plan that works for you.... as soon as we learn a bit more about your computer, how you are connected, and how you use it.

I am tired of paying McAfee $80 a year to use a security program that probably doesnt even matter that much for me. I have never once had a virus in 4 years and i do scans every month.
Well, that sounds to me like mcafee/your current set up is doing its job well.

Isnt prevention the best?

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. windows XP sp3. 2 gb ram. 80 gb hd.

Yes I understand it is doing well but how many viruses can i pick up if i really only go on gmail, videobox, and espn??

I just want something to alert me if i go on a bad site or something like that. Am i really at risk if i only go on safe websites?

But at $80 a year, McAfee can be beat by a lot of other programs... Avira Antivir is $29.95 and does a better job... Alwill Avast, Kaspersky and others are less by quite a bit.

But your real need may be at least a couple of spyware programs...

Based on your use and requirements.

Yeah well I use ad-aware. once every 2 months usually. maybe im wrong and i have been protected by McAfee. I really have had no serious problems from when i got this computer 4 years ago. I guess it doesnt hurt to try a new program. If i get a virus ill just get a new computer. I'm about due for a new one. It takes about 10 mins for this one to load up anyway

There are many free antivirus softwares available you can search the web an choose what's appropriate for you. However I recomend the following:

1. PCTools Threatfire and Windows Defender, or
2. Avira antivir and Process Blocker

I setup securities of other PCs with 1 while I setup mine with 2. My XP is about 4 years old now.

Sounds good to me. I have windows defender I just never run a scan ever. I basically forgot about it until you just mentioned it

Sounds good to me. I have windows defender I just never run a scan ever. I basically forgot about it until you just mentioned it

Well it runs in the background and pops up only when it detects something bad. MacAfee Site Advisor is free. One more thing beware of clickjackers. Don't click on a link that tells you have an infected system or provides a free online scan though there are legit ones like Panda's.

Hmm. have you ever used SpyBot since its free? Not to mention it protects the hosts file.

Speaking of hosts file, I would suggest you check out this site:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I use it and update occasionally. This would help prevent you from even entering the bad sites and getting hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back