Bethesda executive says The Elder Scrolls 6 is still years away

Polycount

Staff
In context: Bethesda hasn't exactly been the most well-loved game developer in the world in recent times. Since the disastrous launch of Fallout 76, the company has lost some credibility in the eyes of its fanbase, despite its above-average track record with past single-player RPGs.

Indeed, this potential fall from grace is something Bethesda seemed to anticipate when it first revealed Fallout 76 to the world. Clearly expecting fan backlash following the announcement that Fallout 76 would be a multiplayer-only, always-online RPG, the company teased two of its upcoming solo experiences to smooth things out: The Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield.

These announcements came in the form of two separate teaser trailers, which we've covered in the past (you can view them above and below). The trailers reveal next to nothing about the games, and Bethesda made it clear that neither title would be coming out anytime soon.

Roughly two years have passed since those trailers dropped, and fans were hoping this June would be the right time for a proper Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 reveal. Unfortunately, it seems that won't be the case. Twitter User Quinton Meyers reached out to Bethesda's Senior VP of global marketing, Pete Hines, to ask when he could expect to see some information on The Elder Scrolls 6, and Hines' response was not encouraging. See it below:

Hines' statement doesn't leave much room for guessing: The Elder Scrolls 6's announcement is still years away, and the game itself is probably even further off. While Hines wasn't quite as blunt about the timeline for Starfield's marketing campaign, in a follow-up tweet, he said it will come "someday," which probably also eliminates a 2020 reveal.

However, that last bit is just an assumption on our part, and there's every possibility that Starfield will be shown off at one of this year's online E3-like events, the bulk of which are slated to take place next month. We'll be keeping our eyes peeled for any Bethesda-related announcements, so stay tuned for our pseudo-E3 coverage over the next month or two.

Permalink to story.

The probability is high but I don't like discounting a game until I've actually seen gameplay.

Neither do I and I hope they won't mess this up. I still remember when oblivion was coming out and the graphics had to be lowered on PC so people can actually play it next to X360 version. Now that engine is holding them back too much they have to ditch it

They still haven't milked elder scrolls online for what it's worth, yet. Actually, ESO is a pretty good game compared to Skyrim. It manages to tick all the Elder scroll boxes with relatively low compromise in the gameplay front.

But we have cyberpunk coming and that will occupy us for quite awhile. I also see a shift towards futurism in gaming again. We've been stuck mainly in midevil settings for single player and whatever the heck you want to call battleroyal games. Can't wait for that trend to pass....

The disdain for the fans is palpable in that tweet. Yeah, no kidding you "failed to manage expectations", Pete, putting out teasers two years too early. Bethesda has never been quite the messiah that people wanted them to be - they were just one of the very few companies making open world RPGs..very buggy open world RPGS that fans had to fix and build basic missing features for. Add to that a steady adoption of an elitist attitude that could rival Apple's and how quickly the mighty can fall. Now we have CD Projekt apparently trying to be the next Rockstar and the open world gaming scene is suddenly looking a lot less rosy.

Eh, I'll call them id!ots (again) for announcing the 2 games so early (in hopes of distracting from F76). But I'm also patient enough to not care (having a backlog and CP 2077 coming up).

As for whether or not they'll be good games, I enjoyed Skyrim at launch for the hundreds of hours I put in it (F4 was less than 100hrs, though I did get that one on sale). I'll expect them to make a good ES game like they've done in the past, with decent expectations about Starfield (since it's a SP game).

Other than that, no point in speculating further without gameplay (since their recent singleplayer games have, at worst, been decent)...

Wonder if the failure of Fallout 76, possible internal project roadblocks / changes, and covid19 disrupting productivity is doing a number on Bethesda.

They still haven't milked elder scrolls online for what it's worth, yet. Actually, ESO is a pretty good game compared to Skyrim. It manages to tick all the Elder scroll boxes with relatively low compromise in the gameplay front.

But we have cyberpunk coming and that will occupy us for quite awhile. I also see a shift towards futurism in gaming again. We've been stuck mainly in midevil settings for single player and whatever the heck you want to call battleroyal games. Can't wait for that trend to pass....

Funny thing, Behesda published ESO, but didn't develop it. Part of their parent company, ZeniMax Online Studios, actually developed it.

Bethesda truly make the worst AAA games out there. Releasing buggy unfinished technically woeful games that people still buy in their millions.

Bethesda truly make the worst AAA games out there. Releasing buggy unfinished technically woeful games that people still buy in their millions.
Maybe it is because the bones of the games are good. I'd rather have good gameplay and epic scale then a perfect boring game.

In car speak I'd buy the viper over the camry, camry doesn't have the bugs, its got smooth ride and polished performance. But it's just not as fun or capable with a few mods.

Skyrim released on 11/11/11, 9 years ago! But Fallout fans, they keep getting games! What gives? I hugely prefer the elder scrolls to the newer fallout games personally.

Ah wait I’ve just realised Skyrim isn’t out on my Apple Watch yet so they’re probably still working on that...

Back