Bethesda teases 'Fallout 76' ahead of June 10 E3 conference

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: The last major RPG Bethesda released was Fallout 4, which hit the market roughly three years ago. It's unclear whether or not Fallout 76 will be their next major series entry or a spin-off of some sort, but Fallout fans are going wild over the possibilities on social media. We can expect to learn more about the game at Bethesda's E3 conference on June 10.

Bethesda Softworks' big E3 conference is on the way, and the company has been teasing some of their upcoming releases ahead of time to generate hype. Earlier this month, Bethesda showed off Rage 2, a colorful and explosive sequel to the original Rage, which was initially released back in 2011. Now, the company has teased an entirely new game: Fallout 76.

Update: Kotaku's sources claim Fallout 76 will be a survival-based, multiplayer RPG with quests and a story. Fallout 4's base building mechanic will also make its way to the game. Sources add that the game was initially prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4, with the goal of "envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like."

Information about the game is incredibly limited at the moment, but we have a few interesting bits of information to go off of. To begin with, in the teaser video, we're exposed to what appears to be the aftermath of a "Reclamation Day" celebration of some kind.

It's not clear what Reclamation Day is, but it could refer to the time when Vault dwellers are allowed to leave their home and explore the surface, effectively "reclaiming" the Earth in the aftermath of the nuclear apocalypse.

The next potentially-significant bit of information comes via Kotaku. Sources reportedly told the outlet that Fallout 76 would be a multiplayer or online game of some sort.

This claim is lent credence because Battlecry Studios (now known as Bethesda Austin) -- the team that was reportedly working on a hero shooter some time ago -- is developing the game alongside Bethesda Game Studios.

Finally, we know the game will release across all major consoles, including the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. There's no word regarding the possibility of a Nintendo Switch port.

Expect to hear more about the game and possibly see it in action at Bethesda's E3 conference on June 10.

Permalink to story.

I'm a Fallout junkie, so this is music to my ears.

Quite the surprise though. No one was expecting anything Fallout related for at least a couple of years. Most were guessing 2020 for Fallout 5.

Battle royal, builder/fps/survival/online multiplayer- I'll call it right here, Bethesda can't really ignore how well Epic and Bluehole, PUBG/Fornite/H1Z1/Ark SE, are doing cash in on the craze basically, but I will admit it can fit very well in the universe as a spin off. This may be tempting.

I'm a Fallout junkie, so this is music to my ears.

Quite the surprise though. No one was expecting anything Fallout related for at least a couple of years. Most were guessing 2020 for Fallout 5.

It is definitely unusual. My guess is its a spin-off of some kind, but if so, I'd wonder why BGS is involved at all. I'm more of an Elder Scrolls guy myself, so I'm not as interested, but I would love to see what they have up their sleeve at E3.

I WAS so looking forward to this until the words "multi-player online" was said. No way am I the least bit interested anymore. The powers that be totally screwed up "SimCity" with the same bs, and I despise online multi player anything. Some people screw up even wet dreams.

I WAS so looking forward to this until the words "multi-player online" was said. No way am I the least bit interested anymore. The powers that be totally screwed up "SimCity" with the same bs, and I despise online multi player anything. Some people screw up even wet dreams.
To be clear, it's just a rumor. You can read Kotaku's article for yourself to come to your own conclusion, but let's wait for E3 before we make any final judgements.

Although, I'm with you if it does end up being a main Bethesda game and a multiplayer title. I prefer singleplayer stuff.

Nothing ruins the ambience and setting of a gaming experience like online multiplayer.

Yes, xXxPu$$ySlayer5000xXx is a totally appropriate name for the setting.

Yep, its gonna be some last-man-standing cash-in, most likely use the Rage 2 engine (yeah, remember when it was called LMS? "Battle royale" ain't new, folks). I gotta say, the next couple years are NOT looking good. Last-man-standing shooters, survival catboxes in permanent alpha, pixeljunk, activism over realism, Kickvapor, on and on. Of course if this turns out to be a crossover between Fallout and Interstate '76 I may have to reevaluate.

Last edited:
"Sources reportedly told the outlet that Fallout 76 would be a multiplayer or online game of some sort"

"Fallout Battle Royale"? Or "Fallout Scrolls Online" MMO that's likely to end up $180 per year for your "Fallout Plus Membership" to "time save" the "paywall of grind"? Either way, I have absolute zero interest in online play...

Nothing ruins the ambience and setting of a gaming experience like online multiplayer.

Yes, xXxPu$$ySlayer5000xXx is a totally appropriate name for the setting.

p00nslyr69

Fixed that for you.

Amazon is already listing this for pre-sale - $60 - using screenshots from the trailer video.

Release date of DECEMBER 2019.

Amazon is already listing this for pre-sale - $60 - using screenshots from the trailer video.

Release date of DECEMBER 2019.
Just a placeholder.

Also, to future commenters - the article has been updated, please review!

Well if it's a normal single player fallout, hurray. If it's anything else.... well crap. I, and many others, have wanted a coop Fallout since like 3, that would be about the only multiplayer that most of the community would accept. But hey as long as they can get a few thousand people playing a couple hundred whales they will make there money.

I prefer single player mission games. I like co-op mission games like Army of Two. Now an online co-op similar to that would be cool I just don't know of any games that would fit that genre.

Back