Biden orders security probe into Chinese "connected" vehicles, labeling them a potential...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? President Biden has ordered an investigation into whether Chinese connected vehicles, particularly EVs, pose a security risk to American citizens. It comes amid concerns that cheap EVs from China could flood the US market, which would have a major impact on domestic car makers.

The White House notes that the US Commerce Department probe is needed because vehicles collect large amounts of sensitive data on their drivers and passengers, while regularly using their cameras and sensors to record detailed information on US citizens and infrastructure - information that could be sent back to China.

Biden said the move was designed to ensure America maintained control of what he called its "dynamic auto industry."

The probe will also look into vehicles with autonomous driving features as they could be piloted or disabled remotely, the White House added.

"China is determined to dominate the future of the auto market, including by using unfair practices," Biden said, comparing the connected vehicles to smartphones on wheels. "China's policies could flood our market with its vehicles, posing risks to our national security. I'm not going to let that happen on my watch."

"China imposes restrictions on American autos and other foreign autos operating in China," Biden added. "Why should connected vehicles from China be allowed to operate in our country without safeguards?"

China was responsible for 69% of all new EV sales globally in December, selling around nine million EVs across the whole year. In the US, 1.2 million vehicle buyers went electric in 2023.

There are few Chinese-made vehicles being imported into the US, but the Biden administration says it is acting before they become more widespread. BYD, which recently overtook Tesla to become the world's largest EV maker by sales, said it does not plan to sell its cars in the US. However, the company is opening a production facility in Mexico, prompting fears that the EV's could be imported from the country.

The Chinese embassy in Washington said it urged the US to stop the discriminatory suppression of Chinese companies, respect the laws of market economy, and stop overstretching the concept of national security.

The Biden administration added that the probe could result in restrictions being applied to American-made EVs that rely on Chinese-made software in their infotainment systems. It might also impact companies with Chinese owners, such as Lotus and Volvo.

Back in September, a study by the Mozilla Foundation declared that modern cars are a privacy nightmare. Its study found that of the 25 car brands examined, all of them collected too much personal data and used it for reasons other than to operate a vehicle and manage the relationship with the customer. Tesla was ranked the worst offender.

Permalink to story.

Biden wants to move away from fossil fuels and push the crap EV onto the country. EV in America, many are very overpriced and out of the reach of a lot of consumers - even more so without all the subsidies that the government has in place to help lower the cost.

Now that Chinese based EV, that are cheaper, are starting to make their way into the States....it's a bad thing?

In the meantime, you get a company like Ford who has dealerships that are backing out of purchasing anymore EVs because they're just not moving due to the cost and low sales numbers.

I wouldn't touch an EV if you paid me, but that's my decision. Let the consumers do the decision making, if they want to go EV and want a cheaper option because they can actually afford it, let them. If they don't want it because it's Chinese produced, then they'll avoid it.

Last edited:
But I guess "connected" american cars that register everything the "owners" do and send all kinds of telemetry are ok...
Of course they are okay; US automakers will gladly share that data with federal agencies. The current administration is probably mad that the Chinese automakers won't share their stuff. From a pragmatic perspective it would be better for the average American to have their auto movements spied on by the Chinese than the US government; after all what harm could the PRC do to you with that sort of knowledge? Meanwhile US agencies certainly could abuse that information in a variety of ways. Likewise, the average Chinese person would be better off with the US monitoring their stuff than their own government.

But I guess "connected" american cars that register everything the "owners" do and send all kinds of telemetry are ok...
What stands out to me is that this is about a risk to national safety, but conveniently neglects that American cars doing the same couldn't be hacked. I don't see what China has to do with anything. Seems like they could remove China and just make it about connected cars and national security.

That's funny as hell. Yet allowing a river of illegals flow into our country, from everywhere. Most are young fighting age males. Just look at how well they are dressed as well.

The Republican House majority has rejected the President's request for emergency powers to refuse entry to migrants, or quickly remove those who made it in. The right wing has forfeited the right to complain.

Such a shame you can't order a new car with lots of "Delete" options. Like delete the "infotainment" stuff, incar phone connections, GPS route tracking and recording, basically leaving just the systems and sensors that look after the safe operation of the car's mechanical systems. Do we really need all the extra "connectivity" crap? We have had 125 years to develop the car, now let's concentrate on honing our driving skills to keep us safer on the roads. Too many people want a computer to do the driving for us so we can get into a car stoned out of our heads or drunk without giving a thought to what we are doing. If a car is kept isolated from "the cloud" there would be no worries about Chinese or other state bad guys knowing the condition of our underpants.

Yeah, I used to be in IT, but I own a small O&G company in Texas now. Some of you have some really hilarious opinions about solar and EV's. You would be a fool to not take advantage of them. Don't be suckers for big oil.
Big Oil LOL, Big Pharma LOL, Big Government Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!

No car should be connected to the internet or any network. It poses a huge security risk and privacy risk. Car manufacturers do not seem to take security very seriously, especially when vehicles are a few yesrs old. Imagine if hackers manage to break into the can bus of a vehicle remotely and apply the brake to all vehicles at once during rush hour....
Exemptions are the infotainment system including navigation, but these should be physically isolated from the vehicle's can bus and have very careful controls on when microphones and cameras in and around the car are on.

They're not our friends. Don't anyone pretend they are so that you can profit from deals that make you money in the short term.
"The Chinese embassy in Washington said..."
If someone gave me that nonsense, face to face, I'd tell them to stfu! We don't need their child like manipulation speeches that only serve to insult the intelligence. It's playground stuff, aimed at the naive.

It's a thing. Would it interest you to know that only the largest O&G companies get federal subsidies. Lobbyists got them that sweet deal and then pulled the ladder up behind them so no one else can get them. I digress, this is a tech site, so I'll shut up now.
Well, How much money is federal subsidies for folk that don't want to work? Why are the O&G companies subsidized ?
Sure. The Republican House majority has also provided the war criminal Putin with unobstructed access to its orifices in a pose known in the animal kingdom as 'presenting'.
I don't think Putin is the only bad man in all this. He is not someone I would invite over. There is so much evil to be shared around it would stagger you if you had an open mind. Blaming your opposition is easy

The Republican House majority has rejected the President's request for emergency powers to refuse entry to migrants, or quickly remove those who made it in. The right wing has forfeited the right to complain.
False. The bill that was presented was nothing but funding for the Ukraine, with a pinch of border support. Read the bill before posting this false crap.

False. The bill that was presented was nothing but funding for the Ukraine, with a pinch of border support. Read the bill before posting this false crap.
Utter lies. Republicans demanded the bill, got the bill, then voted against it because they do not want the problem solved during an election year. You don't get to complain any longer.

The fact that what used to be the Republican party has made letting Putin get away with murder policy is a whole different embarassment.

I don't think Putin is the only bad man in all this. He is not someone I would invite over. There is so much evil to be shared around it would stagger you if you had an open mind. Blaming your opposition is easy
Eff both-sides-ism and 'but other people do bad things too'. One party is trying to make the difficult decisions that is governing. The other is doing nothing but obstructing and distracting fools with shiny culture war trinkets like political correctness, cancel culture, what bathrooms people use, wokeness, DEI and whatever imaginary problem they can think of next.

Eff both-sides-ism and 'but other people do bad things too'. One party is trying to make the difficult decisions that is governing. The other is doing nothing but obstructing and distracting fools with shiny culture war trinkets like political correctness, cancel culture, what bathrooms people use, wokeness, DEI and whatever imaginary problem they can think of next.
The decisions are difficult because they are not addressing the problems while attempting to make it look like they are. Better go watch some more TV commercials

Banning things from/to China is one of the rare matters that Biden and Trump agree on.

I'm glad that this article mentioned that basically all new cars are spying on us, just like phones (regardless of whether its Huawei or Apple). Understandably, the US government is only really concerned when the data goes to OTHER governments.

Sure. The Republican House majority has also provided the war criminal Putin with unobstructed access to its orifices in a pose known in the animal kingdom as 'presenting'.
Is that why Joe Biden dropped Trump's sanctions on Russia, gave Putin back his gas pipeline to Europe, then went on live TV and green-lighted a "minor incursion" into Ukraine?

Utter lies. Republicans demanded the bill, got the bill...
No one demanded anything, except for Joe Biden to do his job. It's called illegal immigration for a reason. There are already laws on the books against it. They simply need to be enforced.

Back