Biden says that it "remains to be seen" if AI is dangerous

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Many in the tech industry have weighed in with their opinion on AI. Now, President Joe Biden has given his views on the subject. POTUS said it remains to be seen whether artificial intelligence is dangerous, and that companies have a responsibility to ensure their AI products are safe before being released to the public.

Generative AIs such as ChatGPT have exploded in popularity over the last few months, bringing excitement about their potential benefits and concerns over their use for malicious purposes. The impact they could have on jobs is also a worry; a recent report claims that 300 million full-time positions worldwide might be affected by generative AIs.

In a meeting with the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), which includes executives from Microsoft and Google alongside academics, Biden said that while AI could help with some of society's biggest challenges, such as disease and climate change, it must also address the potential risks it presents to society, national security, and the economy.

This week, Italy became the first Western country to ban ChatGPT over its collection and processing of personal data for training, the lack of age restrictions, and occasional factually incorrect responses. The Italian Data Protection Watchdog also cited the recent bug that saw the titles of user queries exposed. Germany is also considering a ban, and EU lawmakers are trying to introduce new rules limiting high-risk AI products.

ChatGPT and similar generative AIs appear safe from a ban in the US for now, though Biden isn't convinced that the technology is without its risks. When asked if AI is dangerous, he said, "It remains to be seen. Could be."

"Tech companies have a responsibility, in my view, to ensure their products are safe before making them public," Biden added.

The dangers of any AI without safeguards have been repeatedly highlighted. Biden compared this problem to social media, which he said has already caused harm due to a lack of certain restrictions. "Absent safeguards, we see the impact on the mental health and self-images and feelings and hopelessness, especially among young people," Biden said.

Elsewhere, Biden reiterated some of his State of the Union address, calling for Congress to pass bipartisan legislation to stop tech giants from collecting personal data on under-18s online, ban targeted advertising to children, and impose stricter limits on the personal data companies collect.

While it doesn't appear that the meeting will lead to any AI-related policies, Russell Wald, managing director of policy and society at the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence, told AP that Biden "is setting the stage for a national dialogue on the topic by elevating attention to AI, which is desperately needed."

Permalink to story.

It "remains to be seen"? Well, that's a very dumb thing to say, IMHO... Wouldn't it be better to MAKE SURE it is NOT, BEFORE it reaches a point where it actually is? This is like a kid playing with matches! It is not dangerous, until he sets the house on fire, by then it's too late! Of course, that's not what Joe Biden meant, he's right when he says companies should make sure their tech is harmless, but if corporations could be trusted, we would know it!

Lost me at "Biden says"...
This is the guy who tries to shake hands with invisible people and can't find his way off of stage.
His opinion on most issues is pretty irrelevant imo.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Pretty much anything CAN be dangerous if used improperly. Why do we need an out-of-touch old guy to tell us either way?

Yes, Biden is renting space inside their heads for free! 🤣
lol...pot meet kettle.
And this article is about Biden...kind of hard to reply to a article about Biden without referring to him.

LOL, so many MAGA chuds on here.
No sir. I'm no Trump fan. In fact I hope he doesn't run in 2024. Just because someone calls a spade a spade doesn't make them a Trump fan.

lol...pot meet kettle.
And this article is about Biden...kind of hard to reply to a article about Biden without referring to him.
🤣
No sir. I'm no Trump fan. In fact I hope he doesn't run in 2024. Just because someone calls a spade a spade doesn't make them a Trump fan.
I never would have guessed. While I'm not necessarily happy with all that Biden has done, given the reported attendance at Trump's Mar-a-Lago "I've been indicted, the whole world is against me" rambling session ;), I'd say that IF Trump does end up a candidate for Trump President V2 in 2024, he's got little chance of winning even if he ends up running against Biden.

IMO, there is one alternative democratic candidate that just announce he's running for the democratic nomination - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65197673 that might be interesting.

It should be a popcorn worthy season. 🍿

Last edited:
🤣

I never would have guessed. While I'm not necessarily happy with all that Biden has done, given the reported attendance at Trump's Mar-a-Lago "I've been indicted, the whole world is against me" rambling session ;), I'd say that IF Trump does end up a candidate for Trump President V2 in 2024, he's got little chance of winning even if he ends up running against Biden.

IMO, there is one alternative democratic candidate that just announce he's running for the democratic nomination - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65197673 that might be interesting.

It should be a popcorn worthy season.
Ron DeSantis is the only one I see doing well at the moment.
Trump has already lost to Biden once and he's got so much baggage at this point I don't think he has any chance. Sure he will get his dedicated base to vote for him but I can't see him winning the presidency again.

Back