Binge watching is sweeping the nation, survey finds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Americans love a good TV series or movie, content that's easier than ever to consume thanks to streaming video services like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon. Anyone that needs proof of that fact should have a look at the latest survey from Deloitte.

In the 10th edition of its Digital Democracy Survey, the firm found that a whopping 70 percent of US consumers binge watch television content. Of those, nearly a third (31 percent) admit to binge watching at least once a week while 40 percent of those polled said they do so at least once a month.

Unsurprisingly, the majority of binge watchers are millennials.

Deloitte notes that binge watchers consume an average of five episodes in a single sitting (the youngest millennials average six). The survey found that TV drama is the most popular binge genre at 53 percent followed by TV comedy and reality TV, at 19 and seven percent respectively.

The concept of binge watching these days is most often associated with Netflix but its origins date back far earlier. The earliest binge watching took place on traditional television in the form marathons in which broadcasters would air episodes of a series in consecutive order for hours at a time. The rise of VCRs - and later, DVD players - allowed people to watch a series from start to finish on their own time. That's still the case today although streaming video providers have largely replaced traditional cable providers and physical media as the medium of choice.

Lead image courtesy Peter Bernik, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

It's a surprise? Seriously? A generation that has learned to turn to technology above all things is simply doing what they were taught to do. Now I would like to see the same survey that determined how many of them can actually change the oil in their car, replace a bad electrical outlet in their home, or simply cook ANY dish from scratch. Not being critical folks, we raised them this way so there certainly can't be that big a surprise!

'Binge' watching? Reminds me of when I was in college and I heard that '50% of college students admit to binge drinking at least once a week' Then I read that binge drinking was 5 or more drinks in a single sitting. And I thought... that's not binge drinking... that's just drinking. And at least once per week? That'd be the weekend. I was actually surprised that ONLY 50% of college students drank ONLY 1 night per week.

I think the only thing keeping people from watching 8 - 10 episodes at once is needing to sleep or go to work.

It's a surprise? Seriously? A generation that has learned to turn to technology above all things is simply doing what they were taught to do. Now I would like to see the same survey that determined how many of them can actually change the oil in their car, replace a bad electrical outlet in their home, or simply cook ANY dish from scratch. Not being critical folks, we raised them this way so there certainly can't be that big a surprise!

You're right, but don't be so hard on them. They're not ONLY watching TV, they're also on their phone tweeting, taking selfies, and cruising facebook. Sure, they won't have clean oil afterward, but who cares, it's dad's car anyway - he can change the oil. ;)

'Binge' watching? Reminds me of when I was in college and I heard that '50% of college students admit to binge drinking at least once a week' Then I read that binge drinking was 5 or more drinks in a single sitting. And I thought... that's not binge drinking... that's just drinking. And at least once per week? That'd be the weekend. I was actually surprised that ONLY 50% of college students drank ONLY 1 night per week.

I think the only thing keeping people from watching 8 - 10 episodes at once is needing to sleep or go to work.

You're right, but don't be so hard on them. They're not ONLY watching TV, they're also on their phone tweeting, taking selfies, and cruising facebook. Sure, they won't have clean oil afterward, but who cares, it's dad's car anyway - he can change the oil. ;)
Only 5 drinks in a single sitting? Back in my day, while I was at varsity that was called 'being on the wagon'. ;) And in the military, if you only consumed around 5 drinks a week you were considered a teetotaler.

I never understood the fascination with over drinking... To me it's all just stupid.

But as for binge watching, I have TV going all day while I work. Friends listen to music, I listen to TV. Everything from old classic Bewitched to Bones and lots of British stuff. I can blow through a whole season in a day. But I'm NOT just sitting there watching it. If anything some episodes go by not even getting noticed when work really picks up. It's one of the keys to how I focus, something with the background noise...Dunno but if they want to call it binge watching, I wouldn't call that accurate. Binge noise making perhaps.

Personally, I don't know how anyone can call being on facebook, tweeting, and taking selfies while watching TV "watching TV." I would not be surprised if on asking anyone who watches like that what they just saw and to give a detailed answer would yield an "I dunno."

Personally, I don't know how anyone can call being on facebook, tweeting, and taking selfies while watching TV "watching TV." I would not be surprised if on asking anyone who watches like that what they just saw and to give a detailed answer would yield an "I dunno."

You're probably right....
I was exaggerating on the 'taking selfies' thing, but watching TV and cruising FB and tweeting is really normal. They tweet about their favorite shows/sports as they watch them, and are often just looking through FB/pinterest/chive etc. It's actually so popular that companies are trying to figure out how to command the '2nd screen' being the one in your hand while you're watching TV.

Back