Bios memory and XP memory shows up different

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysterioMask

I got a new laptop, which im using now, came with 3 gig ram, i got another 2 gig ram and swapped out the old 1 gig so i now have 4 gig ram. When i right click my computer and look at the ram it says 3 gigs still, but when i go into bios it reads as 4 gigs, is this a problem i should worry about? can this be fixed, am i running 3 gigs or 4 gigs? is this a problem at all or normal?

I swapped the new ram out and left the original 2 gig in, and it read as 2 gig, i took the old one out and put in the new 2 gig and it read as 2 gigs, i put the old 1 gig and new 2 gig and it read as 3 , i put old gig and old 2 gig in and it read as 3, but when i put both 2 gigs in it reads as 3 in xp, while all other configurations show up properly in both bios and xp.

If you need more information on comp just ask

Hi MysterioMask,
the short version is that it is something called MMOI, memory mapped I/O reservations, its an architectural design and decision made long ago when the idea of having a full gig of ram was thought to be preposterous and would not ever happen or be needed. in a 32 bit os
it lets you use somewhere between 2.75 and 3.25 Gb of 'working memory' and reserves the rest for things like pci buses, installed hardware, etc. the other Gig is there, you just don't get to use it as working memory. your bios shows you physical Ram installed. and XP is showing you the "working Ram" you have availible.

Sorry if im being stupid but, shouldnt it only show like 2 gigs when i have 3 in then instead of showing 3 gigs. This is a relitively new laptop, so i would think this wouldnt be a problem. and is there a way to transfer more to working memory at all?

no because the threshold for 32 bit operating systems is that it lets you have around 3 Gb as working memory, it doesn't just take a 1Gb automatically. you can have up to 3gb +/- (2.75-3.25) before Memory mapping starts 'reserving' memory. and no you cant transfer memory to working memory unfortunately. the way around it is to move to a 64 Bit version of your operating system.then you can have up to 128gb of memory. did that help? and that's not stupid.:)

if you have integrated graphics, your ram will be eaten by that.
windows xp will use a large portion as well along with any other startup up programs.

even if you install more than 4 gb of ram, the limit for 32bit operating systems is around 3.4 GB. anything beyond that cannot be addressed.

Is There Such a Thing as Two Short Answers....?

MMOI.......Good One red.......!

Brace yourself, yet another short answer incoming.

2 to the 32nd equals 4 billion something, or 4 Gigabytes, which resolves itself as a much more convenient, verily, more accurate term. Plus you needn't remember the "and something" exact number . So, that only gives the 32bit OS 4GB of places to put s***. Take 4GB, subtract all the hardware addresses and what you have left is that which Windows shows you.

Here's the missed part, ALL modern motherboards must be 64 bit enabled. This is to permit, (obviously) 64 bit OSes, but moreover Intel's EMT (extended memory technology). NO, recent Intel CPU will work in a 32 bit board. I daresay the same thing is likely true of AMD's offerings. So, theoretically a 64 bit board could offer 1 terrabyte of potential addresses. (2 to the 64 th).
Anyway, our 64 bit board can show much larger numbers than our lowly 32 bit XP can grasp. (I have 4 copies, so don't get your panties in a bunch).

Ancient history: As "recently" as the Intel 915 chipset, mobos were only 32 bit enabled. So, they could only present the hardware reduced remainder of 4GB of RAM to the OS in the first place.

umm...carry the one?

Brace yourself, yet another short answer incoming.

2 to the 32nd equals 4 billion something, or 4 Gigabytes, which resolves itself as a much more convenient, verily, more accurate term. Plus you needn't remember the "and something" exact number . So, that only gives the 32bit OS 4GB of places to put s***. Take 4GB, subtract all the hardware addresses and what you have left is that which Windows shows you.

Here's the missed part, ALL modern motherboards must be 64 bit enabled. This is to permit, (obviously) 64 bit OSes, but moreover Intel's EMT (extended memory technology). NO, recent Intel CPU will work in a 32 bit board. I daresay the same thing is likely true of AMD's offerings. So, theoretically a 64 bit board could offer 1 terrabyte of potential addresses. (2 to the 64 th).
Anyway, our 64 bit board can show much larger numbers than our lowly 32 bit XP can grasp. (I have 4 copies, so don't get your panties in a bunch).

Ancient history: As "recently" as the Intel 915 chipset, mobos were only 32 bit enabled. So, they could only present the hardware reduced remainder of 4GB of RAM to the OS in the first place.

uuhhh....so im back to how many inches in a gallon. :eek::haha::p:wave:

Nope, I Can't Let That Slide,....(As much as I would Like to)

Honestly Cap! try...try not to be absurd, its a Celsius gallon.

So then, one would add 32, multiply by 1.4, then subtract 32 to determine how many inches are in a Fahrenheit gallon?

For Those Desiring Accurate Results,,,,,,

Fahrenheit to Celsius

1. Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature.
2. Divide by 1.8. An example:
* 74ºF = (74 - 32) / 1.8 = 23ºC

Celsius to Fahrenheit

1. Multiply the Celsius temperature by 1.8.
2. Add 32. An example:

* 30ºC = (30 x 1.8) + 32 = 86ºF

I don't know how to do the price conversion, should we be speaking with respect to a Fahrenheit versus a Celsius gallon of gasoline,

Fahrenheit to Celsius

1. Subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature.
2. Divide by 1.8. An example:
* 74ºF = (74 - 32) / 1.8 = 23ºC

Celsius to Fahrenheit

1. Multiply the Celsius temperature by 1.8.
2. Add 32. An example:

* 30ºC = (30 x 1.8) + 32 = 86ºF

I don't know how to do the price conversion, should we be speaking with respect to a Fahrenheit versus a Celsius gallon of gasoline,

Thats interesting Cap, I have just always used the chart :D, and for god sake! it's celsius gasoline.....Fahrenheit gas is dangerous, and sold by the pound.

Finally, on this site, and nowhere else, I feel enlightened. It is the poetry of physics that makes the difference.

Meanwhile, MysterioMask is thinking WTF? It always pains me to see these kind of discussions where the lowly Kelvin gallon gets overlooked. :)

Meanwhile, MysterioMask is thinking WTF? It always pains me to see these kind of discussions where the lowly Kelvin gallon gets overlooked. :)

Well, every dog has it's day. As I recall, "Kelvin" was named after Lord Kelvin, who was, (I believe), the administrated of the British Science Academy. (Or something like that).

From all reports he was also a pompous *****, who loved to be patronized. Need that level of accommodation extend to the present day? I think not!

If MysterioMask stills needs help reconciling the loss of 1GB of memory, I would be very surprised. Not to mention shocked and appalled.

There's always the new thread venue. However be forewarned, it would almost certainly face the same badly off topic fate as this one.

< Raybays thinking 'i cant believe I said this ***** (red1776) had common sense'

@ luvhuffer: the Kelvin gallon?.. just like to start trouble dont ya!? :haha:

Is it possible to elevate stupidity to an art form? Hey, it's an honest question, it's not directed any anybody. I was kind of thinking I might like to give it a whirl.

i have always thought so...why do you ask? oh! i get get it....so mine is dumberer than yours?

:haha: oh yeah? well i told my wife i came in under budget on my last computer.....beat that.

I said computer technician, that's the duplicity of a pathological liar!

Red, you're a gentleman and a sociopath. :rolleyes:;):haha:

the neighbors dog told me to do it......

LOL didnt have to add that ,
as part of the club , I doff my der ** to you as well. :D:p

****why does it do that to the word der**? as in gentleman's domed stiff felt hat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back