BIOS update and driver question

Hello all,

I'm using an b450m pro4 board and I'm currently using a ryzen 3 2200g. I plan on getting a ryzen 5 3600, which means that I have to update my bios. I plan on getting my 3600 a little later from now, but I want to update my bios so that my pc will be ready for the new processor. Looking at the list of bios updates for the b450m, the more recent updates state that they are not to be used with pinnacle, summit, or raven ridge processors. My 2200g is a raven ridge, so these updates will not be compatible. On the bios update list, version 3.3 provides compatibility for 3000 series processors, version 3.4 further optimizes the experience with matisse processors, and version 3.5 is the latest version that is compatible with my current processor. Is it best that I update my bios to 3.5 and then upon installing the 3600, I update to the latest version?

Another inquiry that I have is about the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver" that is recommended. My understanding is that this driver is for amd apu's with integrated graphics, which my current 2200g falls under. However, I have a gtx 1660 already installed inside my computer, which should mean that my gpu will be responsible for display if I do not install the vga driver. Am I correct in saying this?

I am thinking that on the day you plan to upgrade to the 3600 then you need to flash the BIOS forward so that the 3600 will be recognized. I am thinking that since you are running the GTX graphics you only need the Nvidia driver and you don't need the graphics driver for the built in Radeon at all. You only need the chipset driver for that B450 chipset. =)

I am thinking that on the day you plan to upgrade to the 3600 then you need to flash the BIOS forward so that the 3600 will be recognized. I am thinking that since you are running the GTX graphics you only need the Nvidia driver and you don't need the graphics driver for the built in Radeon at all. You only need the chipset driver for that B450 chipset. =)

So you are saying that I should install the driver from this link https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 before updating my bios? Also, I feel very nervous about updating my bios. Is there anything I should look out for?

Yes ...AMD chipset driver is best. Updating the BIOS is a matter of formatting a flash drive with FAT32 file format and putting the BIOS files on there..uncompressed. They are usually offered up in zip format. Ideally the computer should be connected to a battery backup so the process is not interrupted. If you have an older BIOS sometimes you are required to do the updates in layers. Example Gigabyte B450 DS3H requires F32 before F40 and F40 before F51.

Back