Black Ops preorders surpassing Modern Warfare 2

Emil

Staff

Video game retailer GameStop is reporting that its preorders for Activision and Treyarch's upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops video game are already outpacing the preorders for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. "GameStop is tracking to all-time, record reservations on Call of Duty: Black Ops," GameStop's Merchandising SVP Bob McKenzie said in a statement. "We are ahead of where we were with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 last year, which previously set the industry standard." Unfortunately, GameStop did not disclose the actual number of preorders.

The game is scheduled to hit stores on November 9, but GameStop has announced a "Surprize Attack" sweepstakes and promotional campaign for preorder customers. Gamers who reserve the Xbox 360, PS3, or PC title can enter their receipt code on the special site to try to win over one million Black Ops-inspired prizes in 34 daily drawings until the launch date of the game.

Modern Warfare 2 broke sales records across entertainment industry; it generated $550 million in sales during the first five days available, beating all other video game launches and raking in more cash than any movie in the same timeframe. On the other hand, it was also the most pirated game of 2009.

Permalink to story.

You know all year long we've been hearing about weak game sales. Well coming this fall and early spring are a slew of highly anticipated games that are breaking all sorts of pre-sale records like "Fallout: New Vegas," "Call of Duty Black Ops," WoW Cataclysm," "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood," "Dead Space 2," "Crysis 3," "Portal 2," etc.

I wanna hear them whining about weak game sales after all of those games come out....

TomSEA said:
You know all year long we've been hearing about weak game sales. Well coming this fall and early spring are a slew of highly anticipated games that are breaking all sorts of pre-sale records like "Fallout: New Vegas," "Call of Duty Black Ops," WoW Cataclysm," "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood," "Dead Space 2," "Crysis 3," "Portal 2," etc.

I wanna hear them whining about weak game sales after all of those games come out....
Crysis 3!? Woah! Are you from the future!?

Black Ops is going to be awesome, and as far as sales go the pre orders for this year are ahead of what Modern Warfare 2 did last year.

http://www.playstation3gamescomingsoon.blogspot.com/

Its hard for me to be hyped for a Treyarch game. I'll see if its worth my money when I try it.

I don't know where GameStop's pre-orders stand right now but I do know that they are shooting for 2.5 million.

black ops is gonna blow. unless their software team actually cares about the hacker problem this time. MW2's software team was quick to get a buck and once they got it.. they let the game fall apart due to hackers.. i guess adding a vote kick is asking for too much from the game developers..

I wont buy this game until i know they will do something about the hackers.. as far as I'm conserned infinity ward is responsible for making the hacks and selling them to get an extra buck in their greedy fingers.

AiMz

people will by anything that says call of duty on it regardless of who is behind development.

People, don't be fooled by hype. Remember fellas, Two main lead developers who gave us COD,COD2 & CODMWF left the company. Whoever is doing this game..hope it's not the same group who did COD3...wwwwwwwwoooooooohhahahahahhaaaaaa. Wwooooohhhahhahaaaaaa. My advise, hold on to your money till they get a complete review on Black-Ops.

550 millions?, my god, and they still have the game at full price?

realxboxmaster said:
People, don't be fooled by hype. Remember fellas, Two main lead developers who gave us COD,COD2 & CODMWF left the company. Whoever is doing this game..hope it's not the same group who did COD3...wwwwwwwwoooooooohhahahahahhaaaaaa. Wwooooohhhahhahaaaaaa. My advise, hold on to your money till they get a complete review on Black-Ops.

Those devs who made those great CoD games also made MW2. Logic? what's that?

Treyarch may not be the greatest developers out there but they try their best when it comes to the CoD games. They put effort into what they do and that should be good enough.

My advice is to disregard Realxboxmaster because he has no idea what he's saying.

TomSEA said:

Those aren't the games that are struggling, a lot of non AAA titles and more casual-ware aren't doing so hot. And honestly given the state of the current economy it's understandable, people don't want to take risks so they stick with known franchises like Halo, CoD, Fallout etc.

Infinity Ward created CoD and when ever they made made a new version of it it was great, Orginal CoD, CoD 2, CoD MW and CoD MW 2 which were all great Titles and had decent PC versions. Hell The Orginal was PC only!

Then Treyarch came along and created CoD Finest hour which was a dumbed down version for Console only, it was ok but not anything compared to the PC CoD. Then they created the next Console only piece CoD 2 "Big Red One". Which actually was alright, but even so compared to CoD 2 on PC it wasn't exactly "awesome".

Then of course the WWII thing got old when Infinity Brought out CoD MW but Treyarch kept with it and I personally thought it was rubbish and was just old material being used again.

Now considering there track record, is anyone really going to pre-order this considering there is plenty of proof that this probably won't Supersede over CoD MW2?? And this will be the first CoD Treyarch has done for the PC? Its probably going to be an alright Console game and be a rubbish port to the PC.

Although I will still wait for it to come out and maybe, just maybe, treyarch might actually be able to pull it off, even if the evidence is pointing to the contrary.

Back