Black Screen During Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm on Windows XP Home. The computer boots normally, it tries to boot from CD, then continues on to Hard Disk, a white cursor is on for about a second, then the screen stays black, nothing else happens.

With the Hard disk (160G Maxtor SATA) is connected, even when booting from the Windows CD, it loads up to just before the screen turns blue (When it asks for F6 for disk drivers). The screen remains black just before that screen appears.

With the Hard disk NOT connected, the Windows CD would load normally. I am currently running a memory test. BIOS detects the SATA disk. I have tried connected the disk to other SATA ports on the motherboard, as well as changing the data cable.

This did not start happening as a result of something else, just came around on its own. What do you think the fault is? Hard Disk or could it be something else?

Thanks a lot,
Clyde

Update:

The PC boots well on another hard disk (IDE), as I tried to format the disk using the Windows CD.

I tried the SATA hard disk connected to another computer, and the other computer reads the disk fine.

It can't be the cabling because I've changed them. Could it be a motherboard problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back