Black Screen

I have a laptop with the dreaded black screen. The first problem I noticed was the bottom task bar was not responding. After a while all I got was a black screen. I can access the bios but can't get into safe mode. I have tried all the options on the recovery disk apart from a reinstall ( I want to keep my files ). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I an not technically minded and can't afford to take it to a shop for repair.

Google on Repair Disk and/or Recovery Disk for your brand of WIndows - study options - select repair which still keeps your files - run it - try to boot - if it won't boot up - run it again - try to boot up (had similar this AM, took twice)

Make backup as soon as you can. Then consider if you should do a clean install.

I run the repair disk and it run through the repair and then informed me keeping the files wasn't possible. I tried this 4 times.

Keep trying things...
Do a power cycle. Full off, remove battery, press & hold power button down for 5-8 seconds. Then reinstall battery and reboot.

I'll look around for some other answers - at least you can get into BIOS - does it still 'see' the HDD?

Last edited:
I have tried taking the battery out and using the mains and vice versa many times. I removed the bios battery and returned it. I swapped the rams about, using one, then in each port. None of this worked.
Yes it is still picking up the HDD,ODD &LAN

You've done just about everything I could think of.

Perhaps you can salvage files by removing HDD and hooking it up as a data drive to your desktop PC. Then you can reinstall it in the laptop and re-install Windows.

Back