Blank background

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveow

During a questionaire when the month, day, year, country etc is prompted with the arrow to click on, but when all the months etc to choose from pops up it is completely blank. Was trying to make online dinner reservations and couldn't do it amongst other things. It does not matter what website I'm on it still does the same thing. Not sure why.....I restored back 2 months to no avail.
The months, years, dates etc ''are there'', but I just can't see it as if the dates are the same color as the background. I can just guess, but that'll take me all day.

what could be the problem
thanks in advance,
steve

Windows Internet Explorer.
I thought I had changed it several months ago to Firefox and if my memory serves me right then it's when the problems started. Also I can't get into almost all Control Panel programs. It just gives me a buzzard sound. Someone posted the possible 8 step fix and it didn't work. I wonder if Fire Fox caused both problems.

thanks, rev

Hmm that does sound virus like to me...I'm going to ask another member on that one just to check.

Just to try:
1. Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).

2. Click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:

inetcpl.cpl

The Internet Options dialog box appears.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. THEN click Reset again.

5. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

6. Start Internet Explorer again.

Hopefully that may touch it.
Also what operating system are you running? if its XP have you got the latest service pack well at least service pack 2?

Finally what version of Internet explorer have you got?
If you:
Load Internet Explorer
Click Help
Then click About Internet Explorer

I'm guessing it may be 7?

Doesn't work.
When I typed in inetcpl.cpl and hit "enter" I get the "RUNDLL" error in setupapi.dll and of courser can go no further.

Right ok then,

I have asked another member and from what you said now we believe you are infected with malware which is causing services and other items to not run. Also from what you've just said it seems even more likely.

It may take a while but its best to get it out the way.

Can you now go and complete the UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I know you said it didn't work but its not just the scanning that will remove the threat but other programs may be added to aid the fix which you wont have been advised with lat time.

If from your previous use of the instructions you have any of the tools left please uninstall them. Then go ahead and follow ALL the instructions and post all of the logs.
The post may be moved by a mod to the virus forum so if you loose it it will be in there but you should be OK.
Also i would advise you not to use this PC for the use of any personal information or shopping etc as we dont want to make the problem worse.

Thanks,

Just a note!

If you have MBAM or SAS installed now I would UPDATE both. Then in MBAM click logs and post all the logs. What you cleaned is very important insight to your problem.

The log for SAS is in SAS Preferences-Statistics logs, all of these should be attached back to the thread.

But ComboFix and SDFix should be uninstalled.

Mike

The reason the 8 step didn't work is because in I can't disable Real TIme Monitoring in C:/program files.....because there is no "Trend Micro" folder, so that's as far as I can go.

I think if my memory serves me well that folder is hidden.

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.

3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

4. After the new window appears select the View tab.

5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.

6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.

8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.

10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

If its not there then don't worry to much. With the first HJT log we can remove it from there,

There still is no "Trend Micro Folder".
Now since I"ve installed some of the 8 step, I now get RUNDLL error when I first turn on the computer.

OK Steve

In order to get around Trend boot to Safe Mode Networking

then

Do all of the 8 Steps and get the logs posted and we will fix it.

Likely the rundll is malware removed but there is a startup still there for it!

Get us an UPDATED MBAM and SAS and HJT log.

If for some reason you can't get them all then get what you can or give details on the error downloading installing or running them.

We can't do much without these.

Mike

I don't know what that means......MBAM, SAS and HJT. I also forgot how to Safe Mode..I've only did that once. I'm a content computer novice. lol

fyi (I build custom amplifiers and custom harmonica microphones for musicians and am only a casual net browser.)

thanks

Also for the future as they may pop up:

MBAM - Malwarebytes Anti Malware
SAS - Super Anti Spyware
HJT - HijackThis

These are all the tools in the 8 step process.
If you are not sure on using them i have 2 guides for you here ive wirtten

Malwarebytes http://forum.iquorum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=45

Super anti Spyware http://forum.iquorum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=42

And heres one from another place on Hijackthis

You just need to go up to step 7
http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/hijackthis.htm

Well, I guess this bug my computer has/had is why I can't connect to the net while in safe mode. Yes? I restored from Safe Mode and I hopped right back on.

Should I just save to disc pictures etc and then wipe out my hard drive and start over?
thanks for all the help guys/gals.

Steve
From my post #11.
In order to get around Trend boot to Safe Mode Networking
You can not get on the internet in just plain Safe Mode. Has to be Safe Mode with networking.

So you did a system restore?

So far I have seen nothing that would make me think of have all the fun of reinstalling.

If you system restored then you possibly fixed it or if there was Malware in the system restore then you still need to do the 8 Steps.

So what are you going to do? If you decide to clean then follow my directions! I would not have advised a SR. all you had to do was reboot.

Mike

I have reason to believe Malwarebytes corrected my problem. I can now enter my control panel folders. NOW! I can delete/add programs. :)

What I still cannot do is see what I"m looking at, say when I open "Forum Jump" below. This is the problem I have left to solve so I can once again buy stuff via the net.

thanks a million folks!!!!
steve

Not so fast there Cowboy. Lets finish this right or you will be right back.

When we finish if you still have the Jump Forum issue we will address it.

Just because something began working don't mean you are clean!

Get me the MBAM log. Open Mbam click logs and post the last 2 logs.

Update then run SAS and post the log.

Mike

Get me the MBAM log. Open Mbam click logs and post the last 2 logs.
No he said -> post, not paste

All logs must be attached never pasted in, otherwise they will be removed.

In the reply message you press this button on the reply toolbar-->
attach.gif

It is something else.

Try it in Safe mode. Don't repeat 5 times. If it fails only once in safe mode get back to me.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back