Blizzard announces new World of Warcraft expansion called 'Legion'

Scorpus

Staff member

Blizzard has announced a new expansion for World of Warcraft at Gamescom 2015, and the sixth expansion overall since the game's release in late 2004. This new expansion is called Legion, and as expected, it brings a ton of new features to the MMO.

Like with all prior World of Warcraft expansions, Legion will raise the game's level cap to 110. The expansion will introduce a whole new continent as well called The Broken Isles, a long forgotten land that's about to be the center of a demonic invasion; the biggest invasion of Azeroth (World of Warcraft's game world) so far.

World of Warcraft's developers feel like they've neglected dungeons in recent times, so Legion will include more dungeons and more reasons to return to said dungeons. Blizzard has so far announced nine new dungeons for the expansion, including a golden palace called the Halls of Valor.

And as you might expect for a World of Warcraft expansion, Legion introduces two new raids: a seven-boss raid called Emerald Nightmare, and a ten-boss raid called Suramar Palace. During these raids you might want to use some of Legion's new Artifact Weapons, of which there are 36 versions that can be customized to suit your class through a tree of traits.

Legion brings a new class to the MMO called demon hunters, changes to the honor system, and more features that Blizzard are yet to announce. The company also hasn't announced a launch date for Legion, although they are hoping to run a beta test by the end of 2015.

Blizzard are hoping that this new expansion to World of Warcraft can increase subscriber numbers that have fallen drastically over the past year. When the last expansion to the game was released last year, subscribers jumped to over 10 million, but have since fallen to 2005-era levels of around 5.6 million.

Permalink to story.

God damnit why do they keep increasing the levels!!! Its annoying, this expansion best be good specially with from what I can see ICC being in it, Wrath was by far the best Expansion and its fallen big time with each xp.... bring back the good times that were in Wrath! :D

I have not played WoW in years but it's nice to see the game is still going. It's a great game but looking at all the key notes it looks rather confusing to me with all the recent changes (previous 2-3 expansions).

God damnit why do they keep increasing the levels!!! Its annoying, this expansion best be good specially with from what I can see ICC being in it, Wrath was by far the best Expansion and its fallen big time with each xp.... bring back the good times that were in Wrath! :D
They can't bring you the good times, they can only bring you new raids, new area, new class and more leveling. That's what they've been doing every expansion so far, except the classes. I don't see how this will boost their number of subscribers, maybe just until the novelty wears off. No matter what new feature they put it, main thing in WoW is PvP and PvE and that will always be the same, just with different bosses and gear.

It's interesting how they've been saying for years that they don't do much class-specific content because its optional nature is often not worth the development time, yet here is an expansion with two major class-specific features for everyone to do. I'm going to guess that artifact weapons and class halls are going to be a mandatory thing tied to the story quests & progression much like the garrison in WoD.

Hopefully the quality is up to the level of the warlock green fire quest. That was pretty dope.

Back