Blizzard is hiring artists, designers, and engineers for a "brand-new" franchise

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It looks like Xbox might already be planning its first exclusive title from Blizzard. The Microsoft acquisition of the company is not even closed yet, but that is not stopping Blizzard from hiring new staff to work on a completely original game universe.

On Tuesday, Blizzard announced that it is looking for developers to work on a brand new IP. It did not have many details about the project other than it will be a "survival game." It sounds like it is in the early conceptual stages, and Blizzard is looking for talent to come in and write the story and flesh out the universe.

"Blizzard is embarking on our next quest. We are going on a journey to a whole new universe, home to a brand-new survival game for PC and console. A place full of heroes we have yet to meet, stories yet to be told, and adventures yet to be lived. A vast realm of possibility, waiting to be explored. Every story needs a teller. And every world needs builders. What if that could be you?"

The game will be Blizzard's first original IP since Overwatch launched in 2016. It is also likely to be the publisher's first Xbox exclusive. While the announcement was carefully worded to use the generic word "console," it is almost guaranteed that the all-new franchise will never land on the PlayStation 5.

Microsoft is prepared to close the biggest video game acquisition in history by shelling out $68.7 billion to pick up Activision Blizzard King. To entertain the possibility that it will hand a brand new property over to its competitor is the stuff of dreams. It's not going to happen.

Meanwhile, Diablo fans are likely to get bent out of shape over the announcement. They have been waiting for Diablo IV for years. Blizzard finally announced it in 2019, but the project has since suffered numerous delays and is not arriving until 2023 at the earliest.

That said, fans can chill for now. After all, the announcement was a "casting call" for a brand new game that Microsoft will likely fund, so Diablo IV staff will not likely be affected in any way.

Permalink to story.

Honestly, if they did a good survival MMO or co-op game for PC, I'd be interested. The games of this kind I've tried already are half-finished messes with interfaces one step removed from MUDs.

Why would anyone agree to work at Blizzard/Activision before they actually fire all the abusers and harassers starting with Bobby Kotick himself at the very top shuffling them around like the Pope of the company?

At least now we know what are Microsoft priorities: Get them back to work before we actually change a single thing the company we're buying is literally being sued and criminally investigated for.

Honestly, if they did a good survival MMO or co-op game for PC, I'd be interested. The games of this kind I've tried already are half-finished messes with interfaces one step removed from MUDs.
I’d love to see them develop another full-scale MMO with a new franchise. Not any variation of Warcraft, but new IP that they can work with for the next 20 years.

Other than Overwatch they have not had a decent or original title in forever. They seem to have lost the originality and innovation they once had since the big dogs left Blizzard.

Hopefully this will turn into something good and Blizzard will have something other than WoW expansions and remakes.

I’d love to see them develop another full-scale MMO with a new franchise. Not any variation of Warcraft, but new IP that they can work with for the next 20 years.
Totally agree. I new well made and complete MMO from them would be awesome.

Why would anyone agree to work at Blizzard/Activision before they actually fire all the abusers and harassers starting with Bobby Kotick himself at the very top shuffling them around like the Pope of the company?

At least now we know what are Microsoft priorities: Get them back to work before we actually change a single thing the company we're buying is literally being sued and criminally investigated for.
You know...to each his own but I don't get why what happens at Blizzard is our business at all. I also don't assume everything we see online is true and not exaggerated. Unfortunately gaming "journalism" (IGN, GAMESPOT, Kotaku, etc) seems to be ran by a bunch kids more focused on social justice than reality or games.
That's not to say that there isn't some truth to the stories. I mean people suck but in office practices and policies at companies we don't work at really has nothing to do with us.

But that is just my own view.

You know...to each his own but I don't get why what happens at Blizzard is our business at all.
Any workers being sexually assaulted on top of the normal, socially accepted exploitation is everybody's business. You might not particularly care since you think it doesn't affects you or because you have political biases frankly I don't even want you to express at all.

But letting companies like this exists without constantly pointing out what they're doing and are being forgiven for basically contributes to what we actually call rape culture: we normalize this kind of thing happening as long as it's a higher up executive that can easily be protected by a billionaire CEO like Kotick.

The more you think it's not "your business" the more likely it will eventually happen to your mom, or your sister or daughter or even you.

Any workers being sexually assaulted on top of the normal, socially accepted exploitation is everybody's business. You might not particularly care since you think it doesn't affects you or because you have political biases frankly I don't even want you to express at all.

But letting companies like this exists without constantly pointing out what they're doing and are being forgiven for basically contributes to what we actually call rape culture: we normalize this kind of thing happening as long as it's a higher up executive that can easily be protected by a billionaire CEO like Kotick.

The more you think it's not "your business" the more likely it will eventually happen to your mom, or your sister or daughter or even you.
This has nothing to do with political views. There is no rape culture as rape is not legal nor is it accepted in our culture. Assuming someone or everyone is guilty of everything they are accused of is ridiculous. Just because you see someone accused of something on the “news” doesn’t make them automatically guilty.

Standing on the outside finger pointing and making accusations about something so far removed from you just isn’t right imo. I personally don’t like big company CEOs…I think they are overpaid asshats who only care about money. They MAY be guilty of everything they are being accused of but it’s not my job to stand on the sideline judging them about something I don’t really know anything about. If there are bad practices let it be handled legally.

I don’t know…our culture seems to be so geared towards looking for injustice or some kind of bigotry that it feels more like a witch hunt than anything else.

We can agree to disagree.

Back