Blue screen assistance?

My Win XP desktop, suddenly started giving me "blue screens" six days ago. The computer usually boots up fine, although many times it will do a "chkdsk" when booting. Programs generally run, but will shut down suddenly and the "blue screen" will appear. AVG/Malwarebytes/AdAware show everything as being clear. Would someone please look at my attached "Minidump" files and see if you can assist me? Thanks.

Randy

Attachments

• Mini090611-04.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini090611-03.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini090611-02.dmp
  • Mini090611-01.dmp
The single most important error code received is 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT because it is the strongest indicator of corrupted memory (bad RAM). And in your case corrupted memory was specifically cited as the cause of your system crashes.

Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for everything! I ran the Memtest(s) last night and this morning, and I definitely have a bad stick of RAM. I have ordered two new sticks as a replacement, but until then I am able to use the computer, with less RAM, until the replacement shows up.

The memory maker should have a lifetime warranty with your RAM. Contact them and they should replace your memory for free.

Glad you found the issue.

High Memory Usage?

I am getting a AVG (antivirus) pop-up window in the lower right corner of my window while using Firefox occasionally. It is a message that says "Firefox - High Memory Usage 328MB - Close and Restart Firefox". The usage amount varies with each warning. This warning was occurring before while I was running the computer with only 2GB of RAM. I have since received my new RAM and have installed. BIOS says I am running with the additional RAM. I am still getting the same AVG "High Memory Usage - Close and Restart Firefox" warning while using Firefox. All of my programs seem to be running just fine. Once I restart Firefox, the time until the warning message reappears varies, sometimes it may be a few hours later. Any suggestions?

What version of Firefox are you running? The ever present issue with FF is a significant memory leak that was especially bad with version 5. It gave me fits and even with 6.0.2 it still eats memory but not as before.

I am getting the same symptoms as you; exactly the same. Are you getting these issues with any other browser?

Back