Blue Screen error "nv4_disp"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm trying to fix my friends pc and I'm not sure how, but I know more than her about computers in general. It's been a while since i used xp.

I get the BSOD when I turn on the computer. I get half way through the windows XP loading screen when it goes black, and comes back as a blue screen saying the problem is with file nv4_disp.

I HAVE read other posts and am a little unclear with some of the terminology used, so sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse. I need someone to put this in absolute beginner terms. (i just never had problems like this with my PCs)

I can start in safe mode, but it won't let me back anything up because the computer won't recognize that there's a disc in the optical drive.

We called dell and payed them 130 dollars for them to tell us in broken English that they'd call back later. They never did.

It is a Dell Dimension 8200 with (i assume) crappy integrated graphics. the device manager says NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 200. I can't even find the drivers for it on nvidia's web page. I want to add that she has a TON of shortcuts on the desktop from little "games" that she downloaded. (majong, tetris, etc.) It's like your mother's computer that always makes you mad.

This is frustrating and i hope you can shed some light. I'm currently working from my macbook and in northern montana, so there's not exactly computer stores down the road.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

nv4_disp is a Nvidia display driver. Can you find on Dell's website driver updates for her particular PC model? It might be possible to find a video card that fits her case and disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back