Blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ppl,

This is my 1st post - yeay, hehe.

Anyways, i have a problem and i'm not sure if its a hardware or software problem. I have a pc with xp service pck 2 on it.

2 days ago it had vista on it, it kept on either crashing or getting the blue death screen. So i reformatted my computer and put xp on it - same problem occurs which makes me think it may be a hardware problem. It even did it before i installed any other programs when only the os was on the computer.

Here is the error below, any chance that anybody knows what this means:

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000007 BCP2 : 00048042 BCP3 : FFFFFFFF
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

technical info:

C:\DOCUME~1\SAMANT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcde6.dir00\Mini030208-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\SAMANT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcde6.dir00\sysdata.xml

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

How do you know which driver it is on about?

Post the .dmp file located in the directory it specified in the error as an attachment here.

If you feel it may be a hardware error you should check out Memtest86. Download the .iso, burn it as an image to a CD and then boot off the CD. You'll want to let it run for at least 7 passes (which will take quite an extended period of time, you may want to let it run while you're sleeping or at work). This application will test your RAM.

Where will i find the dump file

Right, well i have fresh version on xp pro on ma pc. Any ideas where i can find this dump file?

technical info:

C:\DOCUME~1\SAMANT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcde6.dir00\Mini030208-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\SAMANT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcde6.dir00\sysdata.xml

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

If you can't find it by navigating through the Windows GUI, just search the HDD for a .dmp file.

More minidumps are helpful in trying to zero in on the problem. However, there is enough in the one you supplied that can definitely get you started.

Your error is an 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. From auhma.org -
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

Your minidump specifically said memory corruption. When my RAM went bad I would get these errors.

So,run MemTest for a minimum of 7 passes. If you get errors you have corrupted memory and you need to replace it. If you have more than one stick of RAM run MemTest on each stick individually to see if one or all need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back