Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehoste

No more than a few hours ago my pc stopped working. Turning it on it gets to the windows splash screen and loads forever. Other times video has failed plugged into both video card and mobo, but that has been resolved as using really cheap adapters. I've also tried formatting, but i just get the blue screen about a minute in. Everything is pretty much new (purchased this month) Please help me with my problem. Thank you.

We need more information from you like system specs and especially about your blue screen. Does a warning come up in BSOD that Windows must shut down, blah, blah, blah, then do a memory dump and reboot?

Or is the blue screen just that and nothing more, i.e. no writing, just blue?

CPU: P4 630 @ STOCK
Mobo: Asus P5KPL-CM
Mem: 4gb corsair
Video: HD 4850
HDD: 1x 320gb

and i do get windows must shut down but it doesn't reboot. Screen flicks away and computer sits at a black screen

Okay, can you boot into Safe Mode? What antivirus are you using? What make is your PSU?

If you can get into Safe Modethen see if you can find and attach your minidumps.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need. Attach to your next post. Notice the Attachment Button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Safe mode crashes, antivirus is AVG, PSU is a thermaltake 500w, fairly new, never had problems with it.

Tehoste, try this: Run memtest on your RAM. The good thing about this test is it runs before the system even gets to the Windows Splash Screen.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Get back to us with the results.

waqqasamed- this is Tehoste's thread. Please start your own and read Julio's sticky "Before posting your minidumps."

Ok, I'll do that. But what could be wrong with my ram? I only just opened the package today

Safe mode crashes, antivirus is AVG, PSU is a thermaltake 500w, fairly new, never had problems with it.

Its a Thermaltake TR2 470W its going on three years old and the voltage on both the 12 volt and 5 volt rail are inconsistent and low. The 12v runs at 10ish and the 5v runs at 4.5ish. I was checking this earlier today when the pc was working.

Its a Thermaltake TR2 470W its going on three years old and the voltage on both the 12 volt and 5 volt rail are inconsistent and low. The 12v runs at 10ish and the 5v runs at 4.5ish. I was checking this earlier today when the pc was working.

except for that problem

ok, could the problem me my hdd? my hdd light is solid when i turn my computer on then turns off a couple seconds later and i get the infinite loading screen.

You are fortunate that you have someone who can use a mutimeter (or whatever he used) to test your psu. You need a new power supply. It may not seem like a large variation but in actuality it is. A psu is the backbone of your system and if that is faulty you're going to have headaches.

I run a Thermaltake in two systems, but everyone has certain ones that don't deliver. Check out NewEgg.com because they have daily deals on power supplies.

I already have a headache... X I I'll pick up a new one and and extra hdd today just incase, maybe a new processor too...

One other thing: Asus boards are well known to be picky about RAM. Since you are running XP with 4 gigs of RAM there might be a conflict between your 4 gigs and this board under XP. Just a thought...

im actually running vista ultimate 32 bit, wanted to format and uprage to 64 since I bought 4gigs of new ram

Since your Vista is 32-bit that, too is limited to 3 Gigs. If you are going to reformat with Vista 64 please let us know the outcome.

Well, I dropped my computer off at a local computer store. I was kind of fed up with tinkering with it. Wouldn't let me format. That's why I'm here. When i find out whats wrong with my pc in the next day or two I'll most likely be back on here to let you know the outcome/problem(s)

You are fortunate that you have someone who can use a mutimeter (or whatever he used) to test your psu. You need a new power supply. It may not seem like a large variation but in actuality it is. A psu is the backbone of your system and if that is faulty you're going to have headaches.

I run a Thermaltake in two systems, but everyone has certain ones that don't deliver. Check out NewEgg.com because they have daily deals on power supplies.

The power supply is my old PSU and it ran well when I was using it, I only noticed the voltage when we were doing some stress testing with everest and clicked the voltage tab. I guess those MTBF's manufacturers post actually mean something even though its no where near its 50 000 hour life expectancy. Any ways we didn't use a multimeter though I do have one and could check it when the computer comes back to be sure, although I'm confident in everest's readout.

Well, got my computer back. Just installed Core 2 Quad Q9550. Here were the problems: my cpu was somehow not connected properly, and there was a wire that was shorting something out. I don't know, the guy didn't give me very many details. Computer runs like a sugar coated dream now. :)

Well, got my computer back. Just installed Core 2 Quad Q9550. Here were the problems: my cpu was somehow not connected properly, and there was a wire that was shorting something out. I don't know, the guy didn't give me very many details. Computer runs like a sugar coated dream now. :)

Hmmm, so it was something that had to do with power afterall, just not where we figured it could be. :p PCs, they can give you all kinds of issues from every which angle. I am glad you have it resolved. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back