Boot.ini not showing all boot options

ruready2

I had a triple boot system with xp pro as the default boot option, windows 7 as a secondary and Xp recovery console as the third option. Everything booted fine. I decided to remove windows 7 so I deleted the partition. However, when booting, the windows 7 boot option still appears. I have looked at the boot.ini file and the only two options listed are xp and recovery console. I have entered recovery console and used bootcfg /scan as well as bootcfg /list. Windows 7 does not appear in either. I scanned boot paths from msconfig > boot.ini and still nothing about 7 is listed. Does anyone know how to remove the boot option. Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 (and Vista, for that matter) don't use boot.ini. Boot.ini is "XP technology". Win 7 uses a different type of boot file (which understands boot.ini files so it's "backward" compatible) but boot.ini doesn't know about Windows 7 (since Win 7 came after XP)

So..... you should use a tool that understands Win7 boot files as well as the older XP boot technology (i.e. boot.ini files). Try using EasyBCD to configure XP/Vista/Windows 7 multi-boot environments

Thanks for the replies. I ended up with a different problem after posting and just done a clean install.. Thanks again.

yea.. i do that once every two months.. get an external backup thats where its at... this way you can clean install when ever and you have all ur media and important shhht on the backup..

Goto "Run, By hitting the WINDOWS KEY + "R" on your keyboard. Type MSCONFIG. Then go to the boot tab. And check on the list to see if it shows all three boot options, If so then simply delete the tab you do not want.

If not then Download EASYBCD 1.7.2 on Windows Vista, When started it should change your boot to WIndows Vista's boot, Then simply delete the boot path :D

Goodluck.

Goto "Run, By hitting the WINDOWS KEY + "R" on your keyboard. Type MSCONFIG. Then go to the boot tab. And check on the list to see if it shows all three boot options, If so then simply delete the tab you do not want.

If not then Download EASYBCD 1.7.2 on Windows Vista, When started it should change your boot to WIndows Vista's boot, Then simply delete the boot path :D

Goodluck.

Thanks for your reply but, as I have learned from the post by LookinAround and since then experience, Win Vista and 7 do not use the boot.ini file method. Not really sure what method it does use. Perhaps LookinAround can better inform you. I did, however, figure out how to remove the win 7 boot option (well sorta). I ran fixmbr and fixboot from recovery console and the option disappeared (This was on another machine as I stated the initial machine had a clean install). Not really sure which command removed the boot option but, it was gone so, problem solved. Thanks again for all the replies.

Back