Booting from Windows 7 disk on a newly built computer - not proceeding

I just finished building my computer, and I inserted the disk for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and when it began to boot up, it just gave me a black screen that said "Loading operating system...", and stayed that way for about 2 hours. I rebooted, tried changing the boot order setting in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM would load first, as well as some of the hard drive's settings, but it still won't proceed. This is the first time I've done all of this, is it normal for it to take hours to load an operating system in this manner? I'll provide more information if it's needed.

Just checking basics but did you save the BIOS settings when you exited? Can you check the optical drive to make sure it is working? Is it an IDE drive or SATA? If IDE, is the jumper set appropriately?

The disc is brand new, so it's clean. The BIOS settings are saved properly, as they're always right when I check. I'm pretty sure the optical drive is working, because I've put other discs in it, and the black screen tells me that there's a disc error, whereas if I put the Windows 7 disc in, it doesn't give me any error. I'm using a 500GB, 3.0Gb/s SATA hard drive, with a cable going to the SATA ports on the motherboard, and a cable going to the power supply. If it matters, I'm only using one hard drive.

Back