Booting Windows 7 on an XP disk

Valor

Hello,
I recently installed Windows 7 on my second hard disk. The first one has been running XP. The installation was fine and dandy but my problem is that when my computer starts, it only gives me the choices of running XP or the XP recovery console. If I want to run Windows 7 I first need to go into the BIOS and change the booting device order (from HDD1 to HDD2). Of course thats kind of a hassle and I was wondering if I can add the W7 installation to the boot record of my XP disk? So that it also lists W7 as an option when the computer starts? If its possible, can you please tell me what exactly I need to do/ enter into the file. Thanks!

Does nobody know? I really could need some help here because as it turns out I cannot boot Windows 7 at all anymore. When I change the booting order in BIOS to the disk where I installed W7 it now says "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter". That is so weird, seeing that the booting like that worked in the beginning.

I guess something must have changed with the bcd file of my Windows 7 installation? When I look into the folders I cannot find the bcd file in the "boot" folder. Its only in the DVD/PCAT folder. But when I try to copy and paste that file to the overall boot folder it doesnt work, saying "Access denied" (system protected file). What the heck? How can I get the booting to work?

Isnt there a simple way that I can just add some lines to the boot.ini of the XP installation that can effectively boot W7, from the menu that comes up when starting my comp? Right now that file reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thanks for any help!!

Ok, I somehow managed to fix it. I downloaded a program called EasyBCD. I first had it installed on XP and was able to fix the W7 booting. In the BIOS I was now able to select the correct W7 disk again and booted from there. Then in W7 I installed/ran EasyBCD again and added XP to the boot menu and its corresponding HD. So now when I start up the computer I get a choice between W7 and XP. Both load up like a charm! Hope this helps. :)

Back