Borderlands: GOTY Edition receives rating without an official announcement

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Something to look forward to: With very little new information on Borderlands 3 and Gearbox promising none at E3, fans maybe be surprised to hear an announcement on a port of the original game. A rating board has apparently rated Borderlands: GOTY Edition for current generation systems.

Ever since porting Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 2 to the current generation of hardware via The Handsome Jack Collection, fans have been wondering, “Hey, what about the original Borderlands?”

Indeed, why the first game in the franchise didn’t get dusted off and included in the collection is anybody's guess. Even a stand-alone version should have been a no-brainer for 2K Games and Gearbox. I’m sure that I am not the only one who would pay to re-live the first adventure on current generation hardware.

If rumors pan out, our wish could soon be granted. According to Gematsu, the Korean Game Rating Board has rated a title called “Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition.” The listing shows that the game is for PS4, XB1, and PC. Gearbox has not mentioned anything about a port being in the works.

However, it would make sense that the devs are planning a re-release. Not only is it a fiscally sound move, but it will also give them something to present at E3 2018. According to IGN, Randy Pitchford insists that they will not be offering up any new information on Borderlands 3 at the expo this year. The last time we got any official word was at GDC 2017 when Pitchford showed off a tech demo (above).

Without a B3E3 (yes I just coined that — you’re welcome Gearbox) presentation, all the studio has to talk about is We Happy Few and some unnamed Duke Nukem title. A reboot of Borderlands would fill out their showcase nicely since they don’t want to share any B3 updates.

Perhaps it’s just wishful thinking, but having a Borderlands bone to throw anxious fans would go a long way in quelling the mob as they wait for the third chapter in the franchise. I can think of no better bone than a reboot of the game that started it all.

Whatever the case, we don’t have long to wait. The Electronic Entertainment Expo starts in just over a week on June 12. If a port is coming, we’ll hear about it then, especially since the game has already evidently been rated by at least one rating board.

Permalink to story.

Love ALL Borderlands games.

If you skipped or weren’t interested in pre-sequel.....you f’d up

What's the point of a re-release? I love all BL games but this doesn't sound like it's going to tickle my fancy.

"Indeed, since the first game in the franchise chronologically falls between The Pre-Sequel and 2, it didn’t make sense that it didn’t get dusted off and included in the collection."

I'm 100% sure this is not true. I mean the name Pre-Sequel comes from the fact that it is a prequel to B2 and a sequel to B1. A simple visit to the wiki page says I'm right.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/Borderlands/

I have the goty version. I bought 4 of them and gave the rest to friends. I get the PS4 and Xbone re-release but PC has had goty version for years.

If they improve on it I hope they give the update for PC version owners for free but not getting my hopes up after bullet storm, not even a discount for the owners of the previous release that they bricked. Hope they fire Randy Pitchford soon, seems like a horrible person who only cares about money and can't see his own failures, just complains how the customers are horrible and don't understand his shitty products, with ***** like him in charge I see no future for gearbox.

If you skipped or weren’t interested in pre-sequel.....you f’d up
To be fair, Borderlands 2 was so good, Pre-Sequel fell flat in comparison. I put 300+ hours into BL2 but Pre-Sequel I dob't think I even made it to 50 hours. It just felt rubbish in comparison.

I never got to play the first Borderlands though, if they do re-release an updated version, I might get a few copies.

"Indeed, since the first game in the franchise chronologically falls between The Pre-Sequel and 2, it didn’t make sense that it didn’t get dusted off and included in the collection."

I'm 100% sure this is not true. I mean the name Pre-Sequel comes from the fact that it is a prequel to B2 and a sequel to B1. A simple visit to the wiki page says I'm right.
Well damn! It had been so long since I had played I must have missed the connections. I'll fix that.

also goes to show I need to play Borderlands again. If they announce it at E3, I hope part of that announcement is "out today."

To be fair, Borderlands 2 was so good, Pre-Sequel fell flat in comparison. I put 300+ hours into BL2 but Pre-Sequel I dob't think I even made it to 50 hours. It just felt rubbish in comparison.

I never got to play the first Borderlands though, if they do re-release an updated version, I might get a few copies.

I personally really liked the laser type weapons, the perks to your Oz kits and the Grinder as additions to an already enjoyable, funny, and deep (as in available gameply) fps title

Lazy developers and publishers killing innovation of gaming design, and mindless zombie players who buy repainted products.... **facepalm**

Back