Boxes (not balloons), please!

By purple clear ยท 5 replies
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there.

    When tracking changes, how can I get my MS Word document to show the comments/changes in a box and not in the standard balloons. I know how to use most of the tracking functions, but cannot find this. A coworker showed me a document she received with these comment boxes (with a line to the changed spot in the document), and we both agreed it is much more readable than the balloons.

    I looked all over Word and did several searches on the internet, but cannot find out how to make this happen. Perhaps the sender of the document - which we produced originally - didn't use Word??

    Your help would be very much appreciated!
  2. raybay

    raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +10

    Which version of Word or Office are you using?
  3. purple clear

    purple clear TS Rookie Topic Starter

  4. Rabbit01

    Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

    Are you talking about comments in either the right or left margins w/ dotted line pointing to the changes in the document?
  5. purple clear

    purple clear TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Hi. No. That I know how to do. This is similar - in the right-hand and bottom margins, but with a SOLID line pointing to the changes in the document, and the box has SQUARE corners (a true box, not rounded corners), and the box has a solid outline.

    I don't have the document in front of me right now, but as I recall, part of the reason it was easier to understand is that is grouped all changes together in one box, e.g., didn't have one balloon for a delete-comma, another balloon for spelling correction, etc. I hope that makes sense.

    Ask me again, if not clear, or whatever else.

  6. Rabbit01

    Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

    Tried looking it up in Google but haven't had any luck. Played around w/ a doc I have, tried merging various revisions, but the comments weren't merged. It still showed separate comments from different people.

    What you're describing almost sound like text boxes. But I guess they aren't? If you change the selection from say "Final: Show Markup" to "Final", do the comment boxes & lines go away?

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...