Status
Not open for further replies.

Saurav

Brand new computer running win XP SP2 lagging bigtime
PC specs:

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
> Chipset : AMD 785GX
> Processor : AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ 3200 MHz
> Physical Memory : 4096 MB at 800 mhz (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4200
> Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 1260r
> DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
> Network Card : RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
> DirectX : Version 9.0c (April 2009)
> Cabinet SMPS Cooler Master Elite 310 with 390W (elite)

Initially, when the computer booted for the first time, it said "SATA Running in IDE Mode. Do you want to run in AHCI/RAID? Y/N." I selected "No"

XP Installation was perceptively slower than even my 2 yr old machine. Then, installing the CHIPSET drivers took over half an hour. Since then, it has
been a nightmare. Despite installing all patches and updates [sans SP3], everything runs painfully slow. Opening firefox takes between 7-10 seconds. Installing EB Student and Home 2009 took over 1.5 hours! Transferring 30 GB of MAME Romsets [from a transcend storejet 25M USB 2 500 GB external hard drive] took 2.5 hours. Right clicking on my computer often takes few seconds to respond. Sometimes, the computer just seems to have forgotten a mouse click/command

The Hard Disk light always freezes. Multitasking is gingerly at best. However, the HD Tune benchmarking test gives attached hd speed as 76.5 mb/s and access time of 14.8ms [see attached].

I also installed Ubuntu [dual boot] and it seemed to be running without a hitch but when I tried to transfer 30 gb of the mame romset it took around the same time, and during that transfer
I could not even start firefox.

Does the gigabyte mb supports win xp only in ahci (Sata mode) only.
I can install VIsta 32 ultimate but I am still unsure about the nature of the problem. Why is everything lagging. It is also difficult to envisage
as to how could the IDE mode be responsible for this mess, considering I never installed SATA drivers on my old machine with SATA 360 GB HDD but it used to run Win XP flawlessly

Please help as I dont know what else to do?

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1
Try switching back to SATA/AHCI mode, instead of IDE Emulation, you need IDE Emulation only for installation of XP as it doesn't come with SATA drivers (you can provide those with floppy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back