Win XP stopped recognizing USB devices

giannisk

Hi there...
I have recently experienced some problems with my pc (HP 2133 mini notebook, win xp-sp3).

At first I had problems with device manager some days ago. My computer, in addition to normal use, collects data from meteorological instruments via a usb to rs232 adapter and 1-wire bus. It works all the time since last February. Two or three days ago I realized that the usb adapter was not working. the computer does not recognizes the adapter or any other usb device I plug in. If I reboot the pc it works fine for 1 or 2 hours and then stops again recognizing any usb device. Trying to investigate the problem I discovered that device manager (mmc.exe) hungs up. Since this pc has not a dvd player and it came with preinstalled win xp, I can't do a system repair using a win xp cd.

Trying to correct this issue myself I made things worse. I downloaded and run the Gmer utility. After that the computer slowed down dramatically. It delayed in boot time, programs took long time to lunch, switching between programs is delayed etc. Dpc latency checker before running Gmer was always in the green scale and now is always red. Process Explorer shows that IRQ and DPC uses alot of cpu time.

I would greatly appreciate any help from you.
Thank you in advance.

Back