Breath life back into your PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

Recently my psu broke down, the fan that kept it cool became faulty and stopped spinning.

In an attempt to prevent me splashing out the cash on a new PSU i decided to fiddle about with it.

What i did was disconnect the PSU from my computer and opened up the casing, after making sure the fan connection had not dislodged i looked at the fan itself.

After pushing it around i noticed that it was a little stiff. I decided to reconnect the PSU and gave it a little push when the computer was on. Be careful if you decided to do this.

The fan appeared to want to spin but the stiffness told it not to. After grabbing some 5 in 1 lubrication oil which is used to decrease friction in machines and engines, I placed a small amount of the oil around the nut at the back of the Fan(which is hidden by a small piece of rubber) i manually turned the fan to let the oil get deeper into the fan.

To my delight the fan spun on its own when connected back to the computer and hasnt stopped spinning once since. This was two weeks back.

I've decided to share this with you on techspot as a short term method to breathing life back into your PSU. However i don't reccomend this if the PSU is still in warranty as i'm sure this voids all claims to the warranty.

If you decide to do this to your apparantly broken PSU, be careful and dont fiddle about with the insides of your PSU when attached to a turned on computer :)

why you speechless? because im so tight i didnt want to spend 40 quid without trying to fix it first or because i fixed it ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back