Bring back xp

oldtech

Xp was the best and last os that m$ released for several reasons not the least of which is the ability to do a repair install. in general anything that breaks constantly and cant be fixed is a POS

I liked XP and I was running an IT business supporting people with it. Ity was more work to install then modern image-based installs like Windows 10. The other bad thing about XP was that it easy to corrupt. Programs in XP were easily corrupted in memory so the bad guys were having a field day with it. It's sad to say that XP was the swiss cheese of operating systems.

Microsoft had no choice but to completely rethink a new direction and Vista was born. The rollout of that one was such a disaster. It required a powerful machine to run and the new security model prevented all kinds of software from working (like graphics cards and printers). I was recommending people keep the XP going at that time.

It wasn't until Vista was re-written properly and re-released as Windows 7 that we get a better OS than XP. By the time Windows 8/8.1 tried and failed to replace Windows 7 that Microsoft worked their magic and came out with Windows 10 which has been pretty good. I don't think we need a version 11 but it's here anyways.

I liked XP and I was running an IT business supporting people with it. Ity was more work to install then modern image-based installs like Windows 10. The other bad thing about XP was that it easy to corrupt. Programs in XP were easily corrupted in memory so the bad guys were having a field day with it. It's sad to say that XP was the swiss cheese of operating systems.

Microsoft had no choice but to completely rethink a new direction and Vista was born. The rollout of that one was such a disaster. It required a powerful machine to run and the new security model prevented all kinds of software from working (like graphics cards and printers). I was recommending people keep the XP going at that time.

It wasn't until Vista was re-written properly and re-released as Windows 7 that we get a better OS than XP. By the time Windows 8/8.1 tried and failed to replace Windows 7 that Microsoft worked their magic and came out with Windows 10 which has been pretty good. I don't think we need a version 11 but it's here anyways.

not sure where you were working but anyone who says that windows 10 is either easier to install or support than xp was not and is not now working where I was working or am working now. as I stated before, xp could be fixed by doing a repair install if it got corrupt and did not thrash itself to death updating etc. REGARDS

One thing that I find that makes W10 superior I think is in the recovery console where you can boot directly to the command prompt and transfer files to an external storage like a flash drive and save the files before you reinstall or repair the os. If the os was beyond repairing in xp you couldn't do that. You could boot into safe mode with command prompt in xp however, if the os was not to corrupt,

Not encouraging that a tech forum has so many backward looking posts. Things are what they are. W11 has made much functioning hardware effectively obsolete. XP, while I love it, has no place in mainstream discussions and W11 should be the main focus. There's a current thread about which was the best Windows OS.

One thing that I find that makes W10 superior I think is in the recovery console where you can boot directly to the command prompt and transfer files to an external storage like a flash drive and save the files before you reinstall or repair the os. If the os was beyond repairing in xp you couldn't do that. You could boot into safe mode with command prompt in xp however, if the os was not to corrupt,
well xp had a recovery console also but it rarely had to be used. no need to copy files and then re-install etc. which takes TIME !!. thats the difference if I billed customers all the time I have spent fixing w10 they would all be using macs !! who would pay 500 for a computer and then 1000 to fix it ?
being able to do a repair install of xp without having to re-install software was huge and is long gone. w10 has startup repair which rarely works and. still has system restore which in w10 ive seen take over an hour. I WILL say that w10 is getting better than it was in the beginning. I remember that at best buy for example alll they did all day was re-install w10. I finally updated my laptop to w10 from 7 actlually the most stablle of all desktop os's from m$ was NT 4.0 workstation and then 2000 PRO .

I disagree, windows 10 does have a repair function you can do without losing files just like a repair of wxp, what they called a dirty install. Also, I was a technician for Dell Technical support during the heyday of wxp, and I had many customers who lost files because the os was so corrupt it could not be repaired. One of the main reasons for this was the plethora of viruses and malware written for xp because it was king for the longest period of time and they still exist. I don't know of w10 system restore taking longer than xp. I go by the philosophy of if it ain't broke don't fix it but I'll wait for the jury to come in on w11, meanwhile it's like Bass2004 says, it's time to move on.

I disagree, windows 10 does have a repair function you can do without losing files just like a repair of wxp, what they called a dirty install. Also, I was a technician for Dell Technical support during the heyday of wxp, and I had many customers who lost files because the os was so corrupt it could not be repaired. One of the main reasons for this was the plethora of viruses and malware written for xp because it was king for the longest period of time and they still exist. I don't know of w10 system restore taking longer than xp. I go by the philosophy of if it ain't broke don't fix it but I'll wait for the jury to come in on w11, meanwhile it's like Bass2004 says, it's time to move on.
no it does not have a repair install where it re-installs os fies like xp did. in fact none of m& releases after xp had it. reset this pc is data destructive. you end up with a windows.old foler which has all the files in it but still have to re-install any software. after you give up on it and re-install w10. takes a lot of time.the only other os that m$ made that had it was server 2003. what you did was tell it to install windows and then when it came up with the list of what it found on the hd you pressed R to do a repair install. w10 does not have this nor do any of the others. as for reset your pc. I have never seen the non-destructive reset work and I dont think it does the same thing.

Last edited:
It is true that your have to reinstall apps, but either cloud storage or external backups make that easy enough.

Time is the difference. I used to ba able to do a repair install of xp in about 20 minutes. this new windows 11 may be the end of m$'s reign over the desktop
the hardware requirements (as if they have a stake in it other than the surface)
etc. there were those (at m$ ) who said that about w10 but now w11. if they enforce this hardware requirement then w11 is defintately a candidate for their endgame. a long time ago it was determined that he who had the spreadsheet and the word processor would rule the desktop. back then it was wordstar and lotus123. now it's word and excel but open office running on linux or some other player running on mac could do it.

You can still use XP so I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. If you are not bothered about security it works great. For those finding Windows updates a pain then it's what you are looking for - there aren't any. My ancient Medion 8383 is very fast and if I put an SSD drive in (which is unlikely to happen) it would do even better.

You can still use XP so I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. If you are not bothered about security it works great. For those finding Windows updates a pain then it's what you are looking for - there aren't any. My ancient Medion 8383 is very fast and if I put an SSD drive in (which is unlikely to happen) it would do even better.
I have customers who are using point of sale apps that are still running xp. I have had to clone and replace hd and finally to ssd. there are several reasons that xp still works well not the least of which is the text-only printer driver that m$ changed after xp. on the 40 column receipt printer, the new drivers (after xp) simply dont work. the security isnt an issue since the cash register computers and file server are not (and will not be) connected to the internet.

If it's strictly business and not connected to the internet it's no problem, but if you are dependent on the internet to do research for tech support like I am doing right now it's a problem.

Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT PC is selling off its unsold
stock with XP SP3. I could not get out on the internet until I downloaded a file from Techspot. Pro2ksxp_32. The Intel driver had to be installed for the hardware. I downloaded the .iso file from Microsoft for the Pro version and installed it myself.
It is what I am using right now to be on this website. The processor is the
Duo 2 processor. The case is a tower and ATX or MicroATX size, and for the time period 2009 was better than what our stores had and was not allowed to compete then, but how about today at a good price found online or at your County Computer Scrap warehouse. I am just using the fire wall now and if I get too many viruses I can just re install a fresh install.

I’ve scrapped my desktop of similar vintage which was had an SSD but no realistic scope for further improvement. The new PC updated easily to Windows 11 and is so much faster than its predecessor Things have really moved on for the better.
There’s no hope of any Windows update for an old and well loved atom netbook which is presently running XP. It shipped with W7 Starter but runs far better with XP. it was like a snail with W10 Pro.

The HP I mentioned has a Pentium III processor, 2 core. Good and fast. I never had XP running this good. As fast as my Windows 10 with an Intel i5 Processor.
I had to download from Techspot again for their AUD_XP_5.10.0.6710_PV.exe file. No audio because the drivers needed did not come with the fresh install of XP SP3.
The Windows XP website that we need to activate our OS does not seem to be there, but the telephone with that automated digital voice asking for several series of numbers shows to be what they want.
If that does not work, a google search shows that not much is a problem if the Windows XP cannot be activated in 30 days.

Neither Pentium III or Pentium 4 was ever a dual core processor. There are dual core Pentiums and Celerons. But P3 and P4 was before dual core productions.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz. The Windows XP scanned itself and thought it was Pentium III. Device Manager shows it
to be the E8400 at a mighty 3.00GHz.
This machine is being sold with Windows 10 installed, but there is a controversy if it supports Windows 10. They mentioned minimum requirement is a 1.0 GHz processor and this is a 3.0 GHz processor.
Under Other Devices in Device Manager, I still have an unknown device. After PCI Simple Communications Controller, and before Video Controller.
Another download of drivers may still be needed, but everything works great.
You can get sweet deals on this machine to refit and resell after an upgrade. A good first computer for anyone just beginning.

" P3 and P4 was before dual core production" is true. My P4 3.4Ghz Medion was single core but can also function as a fan heater in case our gas boiler stops working. It was billed as having hyper threading technology. I don't know what that is but the performance was pretty amazing for its time. A dual core replaced it but is now scrapped. That desktop went from Vista to W7 to W10 but was looking very tired when I junked it.
No way is an XP system suitable for a beginner. There are too many security vulnerabilities and regular invites (nags) to update browsers and software soon lead to things not working.

" P3 and P4 was before dual core production" is true. My P4 3.4Ghz Medion was single core but can also function as a fan heater in case our gas boiler stops working. It was billed as having hyper threading technology. I don't know what that is but the performance was pretty amazing for its time. A dual core replaced it but is now scrapped. That desktop went from Vista to W7 to W10 but was looking very tired when I junked it.
No way is an XP system suitable for a beginner. There are too many security vulnerabilities and regular invites (nags) to update browsers and software soon lead to things not working.
Chrome Browser does not work because it has an error message,
Your clock is ahead. Opera is always complaining about certification expired, but Mozilla Fire Fox, version 4.42.00 supplied to me by the seller works ok.
Mypal web browser works with it and has no problems.
My UVK system information on Windows XP says it has a Pentium III Xeon processor, but when I installed Windows 10, the results are Intel Duo 2 CPU's.
The Windows 10 handles like I have an Intel i5 Processor, when I just installed a copy on a SSD on that same machine.
Look up the prices they ask for, online. That is why for their first computer they can get a Windows 10 for a little over $100.00 on this HP.
Intel Pentium III Xeon, by Ultra Virus Killer, system information, shows to be what they print out on my printer. It prints out Intel Duo 2 core, 2 CPU when I used it on my Windows 10.

Xp was the best and last os that m$ released for several reasons not the least of which is the ability to do a repair install.
While I would not call XP the "Best" version of Windows(IMHO that would be Windows 7), it's certainly one of the greatest. Just so you know, Windows & has the "Repair Install" option as well. Not sure if it was present with Windows 8/8.1 as I actively avoided them.

BTW, if you want a version of XP that is as current as it can be, and you are not fearful of custom ISO builds, look for Windows XP Integral Edition. Easily the best version of XP I've ever seen or used.

The Windows XP website that we need to activate our OS does not seem to be there, but the telephone with that automated digital voice asking for several series of numbers shows to be what they want.
If that does not work, a google search shows that not much is a problem if the Windows XP cannot be activated in 30 days.
FWIW, Windows 7 can no longer be activated with the code supplied on the package either.. I had to go through the telephone ordeal with a fresh copy of Win 7 32 bit Pro the other night

I was sort of apprehensive, as I only paid $30,00 for the W7 (w/ shipping & tax). But, they activated it, even offered me updates, which I of course declined.

The biggest problem with XP,, (although granted not a severe issue), is the error it blows up that, "another program is using this file so it cannot be moved". Which leaves you with the files moved, and an empty folder that can't be moved until you reboot. God forbid you forget about it, and try to move the file later, since it will delete the files in the destination folder.

Other than that, IMO Vista got a bad rap, due to the fact the aftermarket suppliers didn't catch up with drivers for it soon enough. It's big breakthrough was native AHCI drivers, which completely eliminated the floppy disc bullsh!t with XP.

With all that said, Windows 7 is a much more pleasant experience than XP or Vista, especially for HTPC use. With WMC, you just slap in a $50.00 tuner, and you've got yourself a spare TV.. In fact, Hauppage offers a special dedicated driver for WMC.

Then there's the Aero slide show experience, sublime.

In M$' desperation to get rid of we stubborn Win 7 holdouts, they've stopped offering the XP emulator, and even the Vudu app for Windows is only available for Win 10.

I really wish the fed would revoke this a**hole Nadella's H1-B Visa, and bring Bill Gates back.

Last edited:
Not encouraging that a tech forum has so many backward looking posts. Things are what they are. W11 has made much functioning hardware effectively obsolete. XP, while I love it, has no place in mainstream discussions and W11 should be the main focus. There's a current thread about which was the best Windows OS.
The only conceivable reason for needing that is if you're dumb enough to leave data files on C:/ to begin with.

I've taken to installing (Win 7), to a trash $25.00 SSD put as many programs as I normally use in, then.using Samsung's migration software to transfer to a Samsung drive. Then dumping the original OS SSD into the bottom of the case, or in a dual 3 1/2" to 2 1/2" adapter tray, should ever need it. If I do, rinse and repeat.

You put the borked drive into an external enclosure, right click > "format", and you're ready to go.

Last edited:
no it does not have a repair install where it re-installs os fies like xp did
News flash, XP won't let you use the DVD repair function, if the edition of Windows installed is on a different service pack number from the disc..

In other words, XP SP-3 can't be repaired from an SP-1 or 2 disc.

Last edited:
Back