Broadband engineer sick with Covid-19 after being spat at by 5G/coronavirus conspiracy...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Conspiracy theories that link 5G to the spread of novel coronavirus may have been debunked, but many people still believe it. The claim has led to cell towers being destroyed, and some vigilantes have gone even further: spitting in the face of an engineer, who is now suspected of having contracted Covid-19.

Claims that 5G cell towers somehow cause Covid-19 or damage humans’ immune systems have been spreading on social media for a few months now, despite being called biologically impossible by scientists. People’s willingness to believe the theory has been encouraged by YouTube videos, Change.org petitions, and celebrities who endorse it, including Woody Harrelson and boxer Amir Khan.

Convinced of the connection, several UK citizens have destroyed cell towers, some of which weren’t even 5G masts, by setting them alight. As reported by Wired, the conspiracists have turned their anger toward phone engineers, none of whom are even involved in the installation of 5G networks.

In addition to facing threats of violence and intimidation, engineers working for Openreach, which maintains the UK’s digital networks, have had to endure physical attacks. One London-based apprentice was spat at in the face by a member of the public. He is now in self-isolation after becoming very ill with what is suspected to be Covid-19. Another Openreach engineer was rushed to hospital after being stabbed.

“We’ve seen a worrying surge in incidents where our engineers are being subjected to mindless verbal abuse or intimidation linked to the bogus 5G theory. It really needs to stop,” Catherine Colloms, managing director of corporate affairs and brand at Openreach, told Wired.

Social media has been trying to fight back against the wave of 5G/coronavirus posts. Twitter has broadened its guidance on ‘unverified claims,’ while YouTube has clamped down on conspiracy theory videos. The latter removed a channel belonging to David Icke, who said any Covid-19 vaccine would include "nanotechnology microchips" that could control humans, and that Bill Gates should be jailed. Icke has also had his Facebook page removed. But despite these efforts, the claims continue to gain traction.

Permalink to story.

Make no mistake about it:

The hatred towards 5G is being drummed up by anti-China rhetoric.

China is better positioned to profit from 5G worldwide than America is and the US government doesn’t like it.

5G however, is not ionizing radiation and has never been proven to cause cancer in humans.

The public piped water in Flint, Michigan however...

Last edited:
The problem is widespread in the U.K. I work in comms and I have been made aware of the full outages from various network providers of their 5G masts due to vandalism. Steps are being taken to attempt to camouflage the towers and any information regarding their whereabouts has been made supposedly confidential.

Of course all this means is that 4G towers have been hit too. Which they have and has caused problems for literally millions isolated at home who want to communicate with friends and loved ones. It’s causing us all a headache.

I can’t wait until the virus stupidity is over and we can go back to our daily lives and hopefully continue the 5G upgrades.

The problem is widespread in the U.K. I work in comms and I have been made aware of the full outages from various network providers of their 5G masts due to vandalism. Steps are being taken to attempt to camouflage the towers and any information regarding their whereabouts has been made supposedly confidential.

Of course all this means is that 4G towers have been hit too. Which they have and has caused problems for literally millions isolated at home who want to communicate with friends and loved ones. It’s causing us all a headache.

I can’t wait until the virus stupidity is over and we can go back to our daily lives and hopefully continue the 5G upgrades.

The best way to deal with this is to restrict the service to emergency use only for all service providers. When these people realise that they are being affected they will come around.

'You have no service since you vandalise the masts'

We can at least partially thank (read blame) ignorant, partisan and/or activist medias for such a bad situation: repeatedly claiming alarmist/emergency (read wrong) drivels on climate, GMO, radiation (sun, nuclear, ...), chemistry (pesticides, vaccines, ...), nutrition (salt, meat, ...), pollution, etc. has been recurrent themes to boost audience.

Then, one has not to wonder why crappy theories popup spontaneously in the scared public when it is permanently exposed to all these widespread, bogus, pseudo scientific claims by those who should know and do better.

You reap what you sow.

The best way to deal with this is to restrict the service to emergency use only for all service providers. When these people realise that they are being affected they will come around.

'You have no service since you vandalise the masts'
Oh I don’t agree. The vast majority of people that use these masts don’t vandalise them. Why should we punish people for the actions of a small few? I certainly think that we should be imprisoning the perpetrators. It would be nice if our law enforcement could provide a deterrent by slamming some of these *****s into a cell for a good length of time.

Something needs to be done, the 5G network will soon be supporting medical equipment, self driving cars and a whole wealth of critical infrastructure. Right now it’s annoying an inconvenient but in the future taking down 5G masts could kill people.

I certainly think that we should be imprisoning the perpetrators. It would be nice if our law enforcement could provide a deterrent by slamming some of these *****s into a cell for a good length of time. .
This, Soo much this. I live in Reading and I've deliberately setup an SSID on my WiFi called "COVID-19 5G Test Mast". Re-directs to a webpage with a basic image explaining how they have nothing to do with each other.

I've got a basic enterprise setup at home and I can track who's connecting and what they viewed etc.. and worryingly, someone down my road using a Samsung Galaxy S7 kept connecting to it like they were showing people my explanation, in fact I just checked and I've had 4-5 different devices connect in...

Edit: I made sure it only broadcasts on the 2.4GHz band to make sure no one confuses 5GHz WiFi with 5G...

China is better positioned to profit from 5G worldwide than America is and the US government doesn’t like it.

5G however, is not ionizing radiation until humans.

As a notation, non-ionizing radiation is NOT necessarily safe. Power, distance, and shielding are still highly necessary and as has already been proven, having enough concentration of sources to make 5G perform as advertised would cause more significant exposure which, over a longer period of time can have health effects.

As a notation, non-ionizing radiation is NOT necessarily safe. Power, distance, and shielding are still highly necessary and as has already been proven, having enough concentration of sources to make 5G perform as advertised would cause more significant exposure which, over a longer period of time can have health effects.
As a well educated and experienced telecoms professional - *massive facepalm*.

We can at least partially thank (read blame) ignorant, partisan and/or activist medias for such a bad situation: repeatedly claiming alarmist/emergency (read wrong) drivels on climate, GMO, radiation (sun, nuclear, ...), chemistry (pesticides, vaccines, ...), nutrition (salt, meat, ...), pollution, etc. has been recurrent themes to boost audience.

Then, one has not to wonder why crappy theories popup spontaneously in the scared public when it is permanently exposed to all these widespread, bogus, pseudo scientific claims by those who should know and do better.

You reap what you sow.

The world is full of a lot of stupid people.

And this pandemic has them all making themselves public.

Where is your source and where is the long term testing of 5G radiation - at those levels - on animals or mammalian life?

Oh I don’t agree. The vast majority of people that use these masts don’t vandalise them. Why should we punish people for the actions of a small few? I certainly think that we should be imprisoning the perpetrators. It would be nice if our law enforcement could provide a deterrent by slamming some of these *****s into a cell for a good length of time.

Something needs to be done, the 5G network will soon be supporting medical equipment, self driving cars and a whole wealth of critical infrastructure. Right now it’s annoying an inconvenient but in the future taking down 5G masts could kill people.

That's all we need. Not only are self-wrecking cars needlessly killing people, but now you think they should be on the internet? If I were an immoral hacker that would be a lucrative avenue. Put this up on the screen: "Insert 50 bitcoin or I'll cause a fault in a sensor and you'll be driven off the next bridge". Heck, you could do every car in moments. lol. Yeah, because controlling cars through the internet is a good idea! People should be more concerned these cars are being forced on us at our safety risk than this stupid 5G. I haven't read anything about 5G, but now you have both 5G and these cars? haha

The world is full of a lot of stupid people.

And this pandemic has them all making themselves public.

Stupid People?

They don't do these things because they are stupid

They do it as an act of war

That's why Alex Jones and Donald Trump Lie continuously
That's why they say and do things to infuriate you
That's why they promote rediculous conspiracy theories
That's why (add a few hundred other things here)

The Redcoats are not coming...
They're here!

5G however, is not ionizing radiation and has never been proven to cause cancer in humans.

The public piped water in Flint, Michigan however...

"ionization" is not the only benchmark of whether a type of radiation is healthy or unhealthy. As far as your claim that 5G does not cause cancer, you're simply ignorant. These are absolutely ridiculous and dangerous claims to make for the uninformed, of which there are plenty it's obvious.
5G has zero long-term, independent studies done on it. Also, today's "studies" are largely funded by special interest companies, and I assure you, none of them have your health interests at heart -all are beholden to their bottom-lines and stock holders.

Where is your source and where is the long term testing of 5G radiation - at those levels - on animals or mammalian life?

Where are YOUR independent, long-term studies/sources that claim 5G is safe. First, prove it's safe, rather than putting on those to prove it's unsafe -that takes much more work (long-term studies, independent research bodies, etc). 5G has been banned in Belgium and Austria.

Where are YOUR independent, long-term studies/sources that claim 5G is safe. First, prove it's safe, rather than putting on those to prove it's unsafe -that takes much more work (long-term studies, independent research bodies, etc). 5G has been banned in Belgium and Austria.

I'd be absolutely happy to share my information with you but I can't do it here because it might be a TOS violation to post certain things.

I have plenty I'd love to share with you.

Give us some sources and it better not be some crackpot unnamed sources or you can just stuff it. I believe in SCIENCE!!! Not crackpot theories.

I'd be absolutely happy to share my information with you but I can't do it here because it might be a TOS violation to post certain things.

I have plenty I'd love to share with you.
Maybe if you can't post them, there might be a reason why. BECAUSE THEY'RE WRONG!!!

Unless of course you're spreading actual science then something needs to be done and the bans should be lifted. You know, the kind of research that requires years of double-blind exposure and other such things that actual science does instead of crackpot crap that I always hear about on the Internet because it's all the rage. But whatever. I'm done. I can't help to get enraged like this, it's something to do with an allergic reaction to conspiracies. I break out in hives and I just have to post. /sarcasm

Last edited:
That's all we need. Not only are self-wrecking cars needlessly killing people, but now you think they should be on the internet? If I were an immoral hacker that would be a lucrative avenue. Put this up on the screen: "Insert 50 bitcoin or I'll cause a fault in a sensor and you'll be driven off the next bridge". Heck, you could do every car in moments. lol. Yeah, because controlling cars through the internet is a good idea! People should be more concerned these cars are being forced on us at our safety risk than this stupid 5G. I haven't read anything about 5G, but now you have both 5G and these cars? haha
So what’s the alternative? Have humans pilot the cars? Car accidents kill a lot more people globally than COVID19. Personally I trust computers over the general public to handle several tonnes of powered metal en masse.

"ionization" is not the only benchmark of whether a type of radiation is healthy or unhealthy. As far as your claim that 5G does not cause cancer, you're simply ignorant. These are absolutely ridiculous and dangerous claims to make for the uninformed, of which there are plenty it's obvious.
5G has zero long-term, independent studies done on it. Also, today's "studies" are largely funded by special interest companies, and I assure you, none of them have your health interests at heart -all are beholden to their bottom-lines and stock holders.
I work for an “internet company” and your statement couldn’t be further from the truth. If there was any risk to the public we would want to know that. Because in such an event we would be liable.

The last thing any. Major company or corporation wants to do is harm the general public. It would cost them far more money in lawsuits and compensation than they could ever hope to make. Particularly in the west.

There have been plenty of studies with absolutely zero link. The idea that there could even be a link is scientifically preposterous! It’s like saying that we should ban water as everyone human who gets addicted to heroin has at some point drank water in their lives.
None of the frequencies used are new to humans. But then we’ve seen this before, it goes back years. When the US switched on their gps grid the unwashed were out in force asserting the world it was going to cause us all cancer.

This poor comment section started off so strong, yet ended up with "but 5G is dangerous" comments anyway.
Why anyone actually thinks that I'm still confused over. Considering the amount of stuff letting off similar radiation, 2G/3G/4G LTE, AM/FM/DAB, Digital TV, WiFi 2.4GHz, 5GHz and now 6GHz already in the air 24/7 (plus probably way more out there for planes, boats, military, point-to-point etc) and randomly 5G is being targeted?
Car accidents kill a lot more people globally than COVID19.
Ok, soo, after a very quick Google, in the UK at least, around (supposedly, I think it's actually considerably less than this) 1800 people a year die from car accidents. COVID-19 has killed over 30,000 people here this year.
Can you backup your statement with ANY evidence?

Last edited:
So what’s the alternative? Have humans pilot the cars? Car accidents kill a lot more people globally than COVID19. Personally I trust computers over the general public to handle several tonnes of powered metal en masse.

Yes. Humans can adapt to conditions and have the fear of death. Have you used computers before now? I do every day. They crash and have errors multiple times every single day. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about them killing me or anyone else. Shall we meet on a mountain road curve? We will put you in the passenger seat of one of these cars and simulate an error or hardware failure. We can also hook this computer into 5G and I'll do it from my home. We will also put your family in the car with you. Not willing?

Back