Broadcom's new chip allows mobile devices to support all wireless charging standards

Justin Kahn

Mobile wireless charging has yet to catch on in a major way largely due to the seemingly fragmented nature of the technology. The industry is yet to settle on a particular standard and because of this, not all device support...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/56912-broadcoms-new-chip-allows-mobile-devices-to-support-all-wireless-charging-standards.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Skidmarksdeluxe

This is a step in the right direction, no doubt about it!
What exactly is the big deal about wireless charging? What difference does it make whether you plug a cable into your devices charging port or lay it on top or very nearby a wireless charger? You're still going to have to be close to a wall AC outlet anyway...

lmike6453

This is a step in the right direction, no doubt about it!
What exactly is the big deal about wireless charging? What difference does it make whether you plug a cable into your devices charging port or lay it on top or very nearby a wireless charger? You're still going to have to be close to a wall AC outlet anyway...

Agreed, even in a vehicle you have the 12v adapters. True wireless charging to me would be able to charge up while hiking in the woods, via thermal or solar energies which I already own lol. Maybe via wind or water?

Jad Chaar

Yeah there is nothing nowadays that the wireless charging can do better than wired, but it could make future applications a lot more applicable/useful.

Skidmarksdeluxe

Agreed, even in a vehicle you have the 12v adapters. True wireless charging to me would be able to charge up while hiking in the woods, via thermal or solar energies which I already own lol. Maybe via wind or water?
The true usefulness of wireless charging would be the devices battery charging itself via solar power or any nearby power source.