Browsers / internet access very slow

al davis

Last few days I'm seeing very slow motion with all my Win10 browsers (Pale Moon, MS edge & IE). For instance it took over 5 minutes to bring up TechSpot.com, similar at nearly all sites I try. Also downloads are severely slow and many times won't complete. I tried FRST64.exe several times yesterday before I finally got it and then it took over a half hour. I also copied the link and downloaded it over an XP machine via the same hotspot in seconds (its 2.2M in size). I though I had a virus or some malware. I posted in that forum. Broni looked and saw nothing so sent me here. Win10, PaleMoon and MS edge are all current. Viewing the Wifi monitor in the task manager show no other activity. Any input would be appreciated.

Problem solved by reverting to a cloned HD from earlier BUT that really doesn't solve the issue at hand that being : What is causing the major league bottleneck that affected 3 separate browsers ?? Something is & I don't know how to get to the bottom of it. There is no other traffic on the WiFi, apparently there is no malicious SW, WiFi throughput is good when it is transfering but something holds off the transfer and then limits it to small pieces. Caches & histories cleared but no help.

Reverting to a clean HD is a temporary fix but bringing it up to date is a hassle and I suspect that in time whatever affected the previous will return.

Suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Is there a site similar to the 'Virus / Malware' forum that could be a help ?

Reload router firmware

Would that be a router external to the Win10 computer ?

Verizon Elipssis hotspot puck in use AND issue goes away with another computer and with same computer using an older clone hard drive all via the same hotspot path.

There is a difference in the WAN Miniport driver. Win 10 won't let me just replace the questionable driver with the older one & the rollBack option is grayed out. I'm off to search for how to do that .

One driver replaced with and older from the 'good' HD. Seems much better, we'll see. Network Adapters now report differently in Device Manager, odd but we'll see.

Much improvement ! It's been a week and all is well. Must have been a Win10 update that installed some poor drivers ?? Wonder if the issues will return after I allow updates again. JoBeard, thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Back