BSOD 0x124, and random lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenique

Okay, My computer build has been running perfectly for awhile. I have a MSI 96n platinum MOBO, and the thing doesn't seem to like 4 gigbytes of RAM, or it might be the fact that it doesn't like 4 sticks. I put in another set of 4-4-4-12 TWIN XMS to boost my system to 4 GB.

Well, now I sometimes get random freezes or lockups on my computer, where nothing will respond. My ram runs at the clock speeds, for the slower ones, 5-5-5-18; which was the speed of my last pair of TWINXMS. I wonder if it's caused by having 4 sticks, or having 4 GBs. I'm tempted to buy a set of 2x 2gb sticks, but I don't want to invest unless I KNOW it will work. I have tried running 4 sticks of the 5-5-5-18 variety, but the computer froze up within 15 minutes of getting to windows.(on XP and vista)

My specs are
MSI p6n platinum 650i SLI
Intel Q6600
WD caviar 320 SATA HD
EVGA 8800 GTS 640
Creative X-fi Xtremegamer
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1
Corsair twinXMS 2x1 gb 5-5-5-18
Corsair twinxms 2x1 gb 4-4-4-12

If u are running a 32bit OS 4 gigs of mem. will give no increase of anything over 2 gigs of mem. & with u placing the slower mem. in all will run slower.

Actually, vista used to only detect 4 GB minus your video card ram. Or it was 3.25 or something. With service pack one, Vista 32 bit detects a full 4 GB of RAM max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back