BSOD after Office 2007 & SEP 11 installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First time posting here, so hopefully I'm in the right place. I have a Thinkpad T61 that has been BSOD'ing for the last month after installing Office 2007 and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11. I have scoured the system and application logs and haven't been able to pinpoint anything conclusive. I am wondering whether the timing is just coincidental and there is a hardware or driver issue. I'm posting my latest Minidmp file in hopes of getting some help. The error in the system log is pretty generic and my searches haven't turned up anything so far. I've ran Chkdsk and used Everest to run a report -- nothing unusual came up there.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Tim

Your error is 0xD1 and these are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. When I read you installed Symantec I said, "Uh-oh."

The driver cited is SysPlant.sys which is part of the Symantec firewall.

Try this: Uninstall everything Symantec (you'll most likely have to visit their site and use their uninstall utility; Symantec/Norton is notorious for leaving remnants of drivers on your system). Let us know if that brings you stability.

Thanks for the response Route44. I know Symantec is problematic, but it is our chosen virus defense at the moment. Perhaps it is the particular driver conflicts on this one machine (we use SEP office-wide) that are causing the problems as there are quite a few kerfuffles between SEP and Logitech drivers in the app logs.

The system just crashed again this afternoon. Does the latest Minidmp file attached indicate the same issue?

BugCheck 1000000A, {65, 1c, 0, 8050323e}
Unable to load image SysPlant.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SysPlant.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SysPlant.sys
Probably caused by : SysPlant.sys ( SysPlant+4bec )

I'd highly recommend removing Norton
Anyway when you get another one (Lets say Avira free Antivirus) and do a full update, then a full scan.
You might be shocked what Norton left behind !

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I may be stuck doing this to get SEP 11 off this machine:

http : / / service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007073018014248?Open&src=ent_gold_nam

Fun for me!

OMG !

Well try Add/Remove programs in Control Panel first
Also Symantec has a "Removal Tool" (just search there for it) that you just double click on. (thank God !)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back