FDA will ban all flavored vapes after news of deadly lung illness

nanoguy

Staff member
What just happened? The Trump administration announced the FDA is issuing a regulatory notice that will require vape companies to stop selling flavored vape products until they get regulatory approval. This comes right after news of a worrying lung disease made the rounds, and just one day after former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg called for a ban on flavored e-cigarettes.

The vape industry has been taken by surprise after a series of remarks made by U.S. President Donald Trump during a recent meeting at the White House. According to a Bloomberg report, Trump expressed his concerns about the teenage vaping epidemic and pressed for an FDA ban on all flavored vapes and e-cigarettes from the market.

Trump sounded the alarm just days after news broke that a deadly, vaping-related lung disease claimed the lives of six people, with more than 450 other cases under investigation. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar cited worrying statistics that show 5 million children using vapes or e-cigarettes of some kind, up from 3.6 million in 2018 and 1.5 million in 2017.

Trump told reporters at the Oval Office that "we may very well have to do something very, very strong about it," as it seems to be a problem that affects not only adults, but also children. Secretary Azar says the FDA will soon issue a regulatory notice for the removal of most flavored vaping products from the market.

This no doubt comes as a big blow to the companies that are deeply invested in the vaping industry, who were collectively happier with FDA's original plan of requiring them to apply for regulatory approval by 2021. Then came a decision earlier this year by a judge who moved the deadline to May 2020, with the possibility for vape companies to stay up to one year on the market while waiting for FDA's approval.

The new guidance will instead require them to withdraw their products from sale and wait for an FDA review before being allowed to resume. Companies like Juul -- who owns a big share of the US market -- have previously tried to prevent underage vaping, going as far as testing geofencing around schools, but that clearly didn't work, with the U.S. Surgeon General officially declaring the youth vaping phenomenon as an "epidemic."

Still, it's not like vaping companies haven't been warned. Earlier this year, the FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb explained that if the youth vaping epidemic worsened, it would spell trouble for the product category as a whole.

It's worth noting that experts believe prohibition to be an ineffective solution that could actually aggravate the problem that led to such a decision. Leo Beletsky, a professor of law and health sciences at Northeastern University told Vice that "enacting sweeping bans on e-cigs risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater by pushing users toward traditional cigarettes and illicit markets for e-cigs. All of this plays into the hands of traditional tobacco companies and is likely to create more public-health harm, not less."

Permalink to story.

70,000 people die a year from opioids

480,000 people die a year from smoking

6 people died from vaping

My physics teacher always said that anything less than a 0.5% margin of error is usually scientifically negligible. Tens of millions people vape, a few hundred are having lung issues. What's the percentage on that? This is supid. I don't smoke or vape but this is absurd.

We also have decades of experience with pesticide related lung diseases, this new one is completely unknown and being associated with marijuana cartridges and the pesticides used to create counterfeit ones. The lung issues we are trying to associated with marijuana cartridges does not look anything like the pesticide diseases we have decades of experience with.

We're banning vaping after 6 deaths but keep cigarettes legal after nearly 500,000 yearly deaths....

Last edited:
This country is truly turning into a massive piece of trash. First of all I want to see death certificates and a body to go with them and not same fake *** body with stuffing in it like on Stranger Things. Secondly this is just the cigarette companies way off banning something that is taking over cigarette sales. Months ago Marlboro bought Juul. After that articles started surfacing about kids illegally buying vaping equipment and juice that encouraged it because they were flavors like "DONUT" and "LOLLYPOP BUTTHOLE CREAM" etc. Now it's lung disease and 6 people are supposedly dead. Like 2 days ago it was 4 people.....lol? What's circulating now is pesticide infected THC cartridges which is what happens when you have to buy something illegally under the table. The same goes for cocaine thats stepped on, meth, heroin etc. Legalize THC products everywhere and manufacture it properly and we won't have this issue. Marijuana sales have easily been proven to make an *** load of money. The second issue is fake Juul pods coming from china. Huge surprise. China is trash. This country ****ing sucks. Sometimes I enjoy the fact that I'm having health issues at the age of 29 because stupid **** like this makes me want to die sooner. Guess I'm quitting nicotine altogether.

Last edited:
Ok but jokes aside they are simply trying to act pro-actively as we are dealing here with complete unknown disease where there is no cure and not enough details on how it starts or progresses. It could very well become airborne and contagious. So I think this is the right move. And what's the worst that can happen, companies will revert to the original flavour of a cigarette so why ppl would wanna go back suddenly to smoking cigarettes? Surely they switched and remained not for the single reason their vape tastes like peanut butter cherry milkshake or whatever other silly vape flavour you could get these days..

Ok but jokes aside they are simply trying to act pro-actively as we are dealing here with complete unknown disease where there is no cure and not enough details on how it starts or progresses. It could very well become airborne and contagious. So I think this is the right move. And what's the worst that can happen, companies will revert to the original flavour of a cigarette so why ppl would wanna go back suddenly to smoking cigarettes? Surely they switched and remained not for the single reason their vape tastes like peanut butter cherry milkshake or whatever other silly vape flavour you could get these days..
No, just no
The deaths are because of ILLEGAL PODS containing THC that are made by shady people and sold on the street. But hey lets blame legitimate products for this. I know this because just last night my daughter's friend was in the hospital because of this, he did not want to admit to what he was doing until the drug tests came back and the pods were found saying THC.
FDA approval huh? well guess who has been buying up vaping companies in the past years... big tobacco that is who. Also, who do you think has FDA approved without a doubt, right again big tobacco.
This is corporate greed and deception at its finest and so many people who think they are SMART will fall trap and believe it without doing any research. SMDH

I think part of the problem the reaction to this has happened so quickly is because they're so popular with kids, but definitely some sort of hype train at work. I still think they should ban cigarettes as well.

Oh come on Cap'n, of course he likes to talk. He IS the best of everything.
FIXED!

If I of course, didn't full well realize that, "he's being all that he can be", and has, "accomplished all he set out to accomplish", I'd think he was a teenager posting from his mother's basement, with delusions of grandeur.

Nah, I'm probably just jealous... :rolleyes:

The disease isn't really unknown. It has been associated it with dangerous substances (like oils) present in unlicensed liquid from bought from unregulated suppliers for a much cheaper price. In five out of six cases, the vaping products were bought illicitly and the other was bought in a legal cannabis shop in Oregon which had Vitamin E oil mixed in (you should never inhale oil).

I'm not in favour or against vaping (although my brother used it a while ago to quit smoking altogether), but this smells of cig industry shenanigans.

I think part of the problem the reaction to this has happened so quickly is because they're so popular with kids, but definitely some sort of hype train at work. I still think they should ban cigarettes as well.
In my day, you could walk into the corner store, at 13 (!!), and grab a pack of smokes for 35 cents. Perhaps even younger if the told the store keep, these are for my mom". Almost 60 years later and living on retirement income, I simply can't imagine being able to afford a smoking habit at close to 10 dollars a pack

Nowadays, we live in a Orwellian horror show. Where media moguls go to the extent of not allowing you to make "mixed tapes", from music you've legitimately purchased. Where if you ask a woman you work with out on a date, she might have your job the next day. So, day by day, our civil rights are being eroded.

Cigarettes are however, are an evil which needs to be contained, since they drive up the health care costs of everyone, even non-smokers.

I quit smoking "cold turkey". With that said, my life style was conducive to being able to do that. Every other evil, drink, drugs, and other smokers, make it difficult to put the damned things down.

I believe that vaping is a reasonable alternative to cigarettes. The drugs that big pharma has offered for the purpose of "smoking cessation", are ineffective, and pretty much worthless, most notably bupropion and nicotine patches..Hell, I took up smoking a pipe in an effort to cut down on cigarettes, and it made me feel so good, I lit up a cigarette after I was done to enhance the experience.

I do feel compassion (not really, I'm pretty close to being a sociopath, albeit a non violent example), but vaping from what I"ve read, has a much lower risk factor.

Vaping products should be monitored by the FDA. and illegal uses of vaping paraphernalia, shouldn't have any effect on availability of approved product.

With all that said, we live in a culture where the sins of the few, are paid for by the many.

As soon as people get their heads straight that you can't put another safety gadget on every car in the world because of one person's death, or prohibit ecigarettes because of a minute percentage of casualties, the world will be a better place.

Is any of that likely to happen in our modern,"nobody is responsible for their own actions world"? Not bloody likely.

I'm so tired of hearing about this on every ****ing website. This is TechSpot. Talk about computers and other tech.

I'm stocking up on the flavors I like. Chump can suck it. I'm just so tired of this all.

Last edited:
The disease isn't really unknown. It has been associated it with dangerous substances (like oils) present in unlicensed liquid from bought from unregulated suppliers for a much cheaper price. In five out of six cases, the vaping products were bought illicitly and the other was bought in a legal cannabis shop in Oregon which had Vitamin E oil mixed in (you should never inhale oil).
OK, the last serntence is phrased to suggest the vitamin E oil was obtained from the legal cannabis supplier. Is that what you meant?

I'm not in favour or against vaping (although my brother used it a while ago to quit smoking altogether), but this smells of cig industry shenanigans.
Throughout these threads, the suggestion persists that big tobacco is the culprit trying to destroy the vaping industry. There are also posts suggesting that big tobacco is trying to takeover manufacture and distribution of vaping products, by driving small suppliers out of business. So, the obvious question overall is, "well, which is it"?

OK, the last serntence is phrased to suggest the vitamin E oil was obtained from the legal cannabis supplier. Is that what you meant?

Throughout these threads, the suggestion persists that big tobacco is the culprit trying to destroy the vaping industry. There are also posts suggesting that big tobacco is trying to takeover manufacture and distribution of vaping products, by driving small suppliers out of business. So, the obvious question overall is, "well, which is it"?
May as well be both. We don't know just how deep the big cig mega companies have infiltrated this e-cig market and how much they own of everything.

As for the Vitamin E oil, I'm not sure. Reports do indicate that we are talking about good products getting mixed with bad ones or that the problem may be with with some batches of liquid that were "contaminated" before reaching stores.

AFTERTHOUGHT: If the FDA is going to ban flavored vapes, shouldn't they ban menthol flavored cigarettes right along with them?
Things like this are the reason why ppl suspect back door deals.

Back