Bsod after sdram upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
new user
I have an ibm netvista 6794,ibm mb, 1.8 intel pent4. it came with 256m ram and has 2 additional expasion slots for a total of 3 slots of ram. man specs says that it is upgradable to 1,5 g ram. i ordered 3 stics of pc133 512mb hd sdram. it will accept only 2 out of 3 at any one time . i have tried all combinations of the 3 and all slots they all work but just not all 3 together. at startup windows (xp pro) starts momentarily then a bsod flashes then it goes to the set up screen and again and again. I have tried all options from there with nothing. after this i shutdown remove the 3rd chip the get an error memory size. then from here i can get windows to start using the continue option but the only way to get proper startup is to remove the 512mb and reinstall the 256mb then shut down and install 2 512kb. I have alredy updated the bios from ibm to the latest (2004)

how do i pause the startup so i can actually read the bsod and know what the actual error is ?

and are there any fixes so i can fully upgrade my ram to 1.5g ?

Ok, find the timings on the RAM and make sure that is set in BIOS, if not that could be your problem.
Still doesn't make sense why only 2 of the 3 work in any combination at any one time.

Are you asking where to find the timings on the memory you have, or where to find them in the BIOS?

If your asking about the memory then look at the case it came in or you can look at the memory itself wheres there's sometimes a sticker.
Timings for i.e.- 5-5-5-15

Then when your MoBo is loading hit the key that corresponds with the key that opens the BIOS. Search around for memory timings for some sort of RAM timings, take your time you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back