BSoD at various points after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabanknight

Yesterday I as using my pc all was running well and while running a few programs (no more than usual but not a overbearing load) The desktop froze did not change for a few minutes so hardbooted. On restart recieved BSoD. Tried last good config and safe mode at various points after startup recieved BSoD no more than a few minutes(gauged by enough time to activate spyware scanner and get a couple minutes in at most) occationally at enter password screen. Pluged hdd into laptop and ran malware bytes on it no problems. Pluged back in and ran normally got BSoD immediatly before entering password(sometimes comes before sometimes after)

Flashed CMOS battery this morning no results.

Running windows vista ultimate 32bit

BSoD is as follows

Machine_Check_Exception

Tecnical Info:
STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0x851b64c0, 0xb6000000, 0x00000181)

Any help?

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Straight up: This is a very difficult error to deal with because it can be due to any hardware in your system and I mean ANY. I know IT Techs that don't want to deal with it. As the definition says diagnostics "rarely lead to a clear solution."

My intent is not to be negative but to prepare you that this may take awhile. So let's begin by runing the free and safe Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I have it running now says at the bottom no errors, and has been running for some 5 hours. Does it just keep going if I understand it correctly. What do I need to convey from the program that would be helpful?

Thinking on the overheating possibility, every long while it gives me a message complaining about overclocking, but i have never set it to do so unless somthing else did it automaticly, and for a amd X2 core my fan is running 800 somthing rpm's according to bios, could that be the issue?

First, yes Memtest will keep on going until you stop it. The two areas you are interested in is Errors and Pass. As stated before, you want to let this test run for a minimum of 7 Passes. Another thing, many people think the 8 individual passes are the same thing over and over but this is not the case at all. It throws a vast array of differing combinations at your memory.

Second, heat will definitely shut down a system fast. Is the BIOS reporting only 800 RPMs on your cpu fan? My older socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ fan's rpms is at 3125 right now. Yo need to research as soon as you can what the range of your cpu fan needs to be set at. That seems way too low especially under a load.

Third, overclocking will also cause issues. If you know someone who has some tech knowledge get them to read your BIOS and why it is complaining about ocing? Is your video card overclocked? Some come shipped already oc'ed.

First, yes Memtest will keep on going until you stop it. The two areas you are interested in is Errors and Pass. As stated before, you want to let this test run for a minimum of 7 Passes. Another thing, many people think the 8 individual passes are the same thing over and over but this is not the case at all. It throws a vast array of differing combinations at your memory.

Second, heat will definitely shut down a system fast. Is the BIOS reporting only 800 RPMs on your cpu fan? My older socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ fan's rpms is at 3125 right now. Yo need to research as soon as you can what the range of your cpu fan needs to be set at. That seems way too low especially under a load.

Third, overclocking will also cause issues. If you know someone who has some tech knowledge get them to read your BIOS and why it is complaining about ocing? Is your video card overclocked? Some come shipped already oc'ed.

Its on pass 5 right now and all's well

I only thought the rpm's to be a concern because the number was red, This was at startup entering bios so it wasnt that hot (114 F) regardless how would I speed up the fan, and what would cause it to slow suddenly assuming that is the issue.

The VC could be overclocked but it seems pretty cool by feel and air flow coming from the fan(then again so does the cpu) . I will take it out and try onboard video to see if that remedies the issue (but I used to have that issue with a old VC, but that just froze it didn't bsod)

Okay, do the following standard yet important diagnostic steps:

1. Run Chkdsk

2. Run harddrive diagnostics by using the free utility that you can get off of your HD manufacture's website. Run both short and long tests.

3. If you have experienced any more BSODs please attach the minidump files to your next post. Don't individually zip them; you can zip up to 5 per Zip file.

Going to run chkdsk shortly, but the whole cpu heating thing was getting to me. My brother claimed he smelt somthing burning for a moment in my room, but I couldnt smell it and he couldnt pinpoint it after a momentary wiff(maybe nothing) but that mixed with the pc running the ram check -for a long time- made me want to check the cpu before going any further

Removed cpu --more dust than I would of liked-- the thermal paste is hard as a rock and it is pretty much cemented to the heat sink had to fumble with the release under the sink so I could get it out. From my knowlege it shouldnt be like this... For starters I assume my next step would be to reapply some paste, however what can I use as a solvent to get the current cement like paste off?

You are correct: the thermalpaste needs to be replaced and the dust absolutely needs to be cleaned out. As I said earlier heat will shut down a system fast. I know of one person who I was working with on 0x9C errors and he came to find out his cpu was clogged up with dust and lint. He cleaned out the fan and the entire system and his system crashes ceased. Think of dust as nature's natural blanket for PCs.

Now to clean you can do one of two things:

a. See link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...010&cm_re=artic_silver-_-35-100-010-_-Product A shame you missed it last week because they had it on sale for $5 with free shipping.

b. I and many do this: isopoypyl alcohol that you can buy in any grocery store or local pharmacy and que tips. It works very well but whatever you do make sure it is at least 85% and if you can get it higher, even 100% so much the better.

* Also, check your psu.

using 85 % and for the life of me they wont budge. left a pool around the edges of the gunk to hope some would seap in and they might as well be welded

using 85 % and for the life of me they wont budge. left a pool around the edges of the gunk to hope some would seap in and they might as well be welded

Wow! I take it you've run the quetips over and over until they became stubs.

I did a amall search and talk about deja vu'; from 2009:

Usually thermal paste has hardened if the heatsink and fan system have been on a long time, if it is hardened I usually get a razor blade and carfully carve it off, the hardened material acts as a gap between your new heat sink and the surface heat spreader of your cpu, and if left on, the heat transfer will be inefficient and your system will shut down, I have had it happen before.

Other ideas have been acetone and mineral spirits.

HUSSAH on a guess got it off, since the materials conduct heat very well they cool very quickly, thus 120 seconds on the freezer quick freeze shelf and thermal expansion(compression in this case) kicked in and one twist and it was off leaving me with a cpu with a hella lot of deep grey paste and a ice cold heatsink. Looking at it I would of never got that off with all the alcohol in the world.

Doesnt smell burnt -not sure if a fried cpu would- but its not a bad sign. Gonna go check radio shack -closest electronic store- for thermal paste, any brand sugestions?

One other note during some prying there is a slight nick on the heat sink -not a gouge just not smooth- is that a uge issue?

As for the nik I don't know but since it is the heatsink I think you should be okay.

As for the thermal paste Artic Silver is the most popular but there are other good solutions as well just not as well known. Take a look at this newegg link so you can get some idea; don't know what Radioshack carries.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=thermal+paste

I've seen the Antec brand in both Staples and Best Buy. Just make sure you follow the directions. For example Artic Silver is to be placed in the middle of the heatsink with the portion no larger than a rice kernel. Sure enough it spreads out and the Athlon 64 3200+ in my second family PC build runs cool.

The burning might have been the dust as your system heated up much like the dust that collects in a furnace over the summer and when you turn it on after several months burns off the dust. This is only a guess; just keep an eye on your psu.

Still a no go... gonna run chkdsk moving the drive to this laptop as an external and scan. Meanwhile I am trying to install a fresh copy of windows on another hdd I put in the lemon in question and got a different bsod
reads as:
Driver IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

0x000000D1

lol, what gives?

Attach that minidump for that 0xD1. Even though you still have issues one really good thing that came out of it is that your cpu is going to run a lot cooler. That was good work.

mind you the other bsod was still there with the other hdd present(might of been a different one it went by fast)

Just started up while trying to install windows again and got this code
Stop: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x888912AE)

0xA errors are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level then they should.

If these are new BSODs attach those minidump files.

No.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

well the hard drive that got the last two(the A and D1) is a blank harddrive that I am attemtping to install windows on but gives the error before it finishes unpacking files. how can I get the minidump from that?

These two were on the original hdd, but look old. I will check for another working hdd with windows on it and post dumps after I get the fateful bsod

Chkdsk finished, didnt say it found errors -nor did it say it didnt, just that it completed-

Attachments

• Mini092009-01.dmp
    152.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini070509-01.dmp
    152 KB · Views: 2
Ok real quick here. I took my harddrive from the dead pc, and tried putting it in a backup computer. The start up went eerily similar, after post went to a blank dos prompt and a blinking _ for some minutes. Then to the windows did not shut down properly yadda yadda. All options(normal last config safemode) lead to computer restarting same as many restarts when it was in the other pc when I was asuming a bluescreen quickly flashed by(Still saw a blue screen a lot of times but some just flashed then restarted on original pc). I can still use it as an external however and pull files and when I ran chkdsk laptop had no issue with it.Despite the snag with the chkdsk I think I smell a bad boot sector?

I think you are very right and probably more than one bad sector especially in the light of the fact you get almost the same exact issues in the other PC.

Here are the errors from the old dumps though nothing specific was cited as the probable cause:

0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

0xA0: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (honstly; this is the first time I have seen this one)
The power policy manager experienced a fatal error. Also the Failure_Bucket stated KERNEL_MEMORY_LEAK.

One other bit of info: A fatal error occure while preparing the hibernation file.

* I believe it is now time for a new harddrive. We ruled out cables and controllers, correct?

Used different cables in the other computer so think that is not the issue.

This is a reletivly new drive, couldnt be more than a year old. Would a repartion or wipe fix it or is a different drive my only option?

And dont worry if you havnt seen it before my house is build on an ancient indian computer store. So all my computers are cursed you should see some of the weird issues we have had in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back