BSoD At Windows Splash Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I try to start my computer I get a BSoD a second or two after the Windows splash screen appears. The BSoD happens whether I choose safe mode or not. The stop error I get is

STOP:0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF620B380,0XF620B07C,0xFCB30805)

The STOP message troubleshooter says that the problem can be caused by disc corruption or disc fragmentation. I suspect that disc fragmentation might be the cause since I recently downloaded about 20 gigs worth of files, which brings me down to about 26 gigs free out of a total of 250 Gigs, and haven't defragmented in a while. I've tried going into the recovery prompt and using chkdsk /R, but although it reports having found errors, I still get the same problems.

I'm using
XP Pro SP2 32 bit
AMD X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.2?GHz,
GeForce 8600 GT,
KN1 SLi Lite motherboard
Maxtor 6L250S0 250GB SATA Hard Drive
4Gb RAM (3.25Gb since I'm using XP)

And I'm afraid I can't run any utilities on the computer beyond the recovery console since I can't get past the windows splash screen. Since fragmenting seems to me to be the most likely problem, does anyone know if it's possible to delete files from the recovery console, or otherwise, how to defragment the disc without being in Windows? I'm pretty sure you can't mess with anything other than system files while in the recovery console, which really enrages me. Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions of what might be the problem?

You could slave your harddrive to another system and from the PC you have slaved it to you can from that PC's harddrive) do a harddrive diagnostics which I strongly suggest you do, b) transfer all important files, photos , etc by burning to CD/DVD and/or flash drives, and c) do a virus scan.

* Also, you really need to free up space on your harddrive.

You could slave your harddrive to another system and from the PC you have slaved it to you can from that PC's harddrive
I was thinking of sticking it in another system, but I asked a friend and he told me that if you connected two hard drives each with boot partitions to the same computer you would only be able to access the drive you booted from.

) do a harddrive diagnostics which I strongly suggest you do, b) transfer all important files, photos , etc by burning to CD/DVD and/or flash drives, and c) do a virus scan.
I have a second SATA hard drive I've been using so I can copy my files to that one.

* Also, you really need to free up space on your harddrive.
Ya, I guess I got a bit careless and went on a bit of a downloading spree when I was already on the edge.

As for slaving the harddrive the whole point is to boot from the main PC's drive and access the slave drive through the main drive.

Let us know how it turns out.

Well I put it in another machine and booted from that box's drive. I backed up my files, ran chkdsk, defrag, and anti-virus, but it still wouldn't boot. I tried running SeaTools, but it's not detecting the drive. It says "Scanning for supported drives. Please wait...", then a pop-up box appears that says

Fatal Error: Device Discovery
Could not find any recognizable digits. Int32 StringToInt(System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32*)

And then SeaTools shuts down.

The drive I booted from is a Western Digital if that matters.

What make is your harddrive? WD diagnostics will only work with WD but SeaTools can work with other harddrives such as Hitachi.

This is sounding more and more like your harddrive crashed. How old is it? SeaTools will work on Maxtor's because Seagate bought them out a few years ago.

This is sounding more and more like your harddrive crashed. How old is it? SeaTools will work on Maxtor's because Seagate bought them out a few years ago.

I can't quite remember. I do know it's pretty old though. 3-4 years at the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back