BSOD battery related?

rednek

Hi
The only way I can boot my Acer Aspire 5022 is to go into the Bios mode, leave it fo 10 mins, then reboot. It wont boot from cold. Once I've done this procedure, the machine runs without issue. If I ty and boot from cold, it gets most of the way there and then BSOD, with varying excuses such as 'page fault in non paged area' and lots of other things.

What I'm wondering is that this issue started at about the same time that the battery was deteriorating, and therefore could it be related? The battery no longer holds any charge at all.

First, you are better off replacing the dead/or about to die battery :)

Secondly, can you please post minidumps for analysis, you can find them in C:\windows\minidump. Regards

Battery in the post;
minidumps attached;
Many thanks!!

Attachments

• Mini030310-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini030610-01.dmp
  • Mini070210-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini041710-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
I've ran through minidump provided by you and each one has different reasons.

One of them pointed at Daemon Tools's driver being the cause of it. I'd suggest you to uninstall it for now.

Other two pointed at Pool Corruption/Pool Corruption In File Area, in simple words it means that a driver corrupted pool memory that was being used for holding pages destined for the disk. In one instance an core OS component was cited as cause, whereas, in the other it was Avast AV driver.

I am unable to conclusively say what may be the actual issue here, however, I suspect there may be some hardware issue, so please be patient because it may take some effort/time to find it.

Please download memtest, and run it for minimum of 8 passes and see whether it finds any issues with your RAM and come back with the results. Regards

Hi Archean

These were a random selection of recent minidumps. There are lots more, though I suspect each citing different reasons. Happy to supply them all should you require! The new battery should be here monday, so I will report back to see if this solves the situation - I'm kind of working on the theory that as the battery is shot that maybe some parts of the system are not 'lighting up' as they should in the boot process - like Windows is not being made fully aware of all its peripherals in time for the right drivers to load. (novice speculation, of course!)

I don't think that is the case, battery is there only to supply backup power when your notebook is not plugged in.

If you have other minidumps i'll be happy to have a look, but in the meanwhile, I recommend you to consider my earlier suggestions and go through them. Regards

Many thanks for your response. There are a total of 23 minidump files in the directory, which I've zipped and attached. I realise this is quite a lot for you to go through, so if you tell me what I should be looking for and how to open each file, I'm happy to share the work.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    149 KB · Views: 1
  • Minidump pt2.zip
    124 KB · Views: 1
  • Minidump pt3.zip
    110.5 KB · Views: 1
Ok I will go through these asap, in the meanwhile, please go to control panel, then to Display Settings, and set Hardware Acceleration to None (if full is selected).

Hardwre accelleration was set to full. I have now set it to none, as requested. Would you like me to see if this has made a difference to the BSOD on cold boot? If so I'll switch it off for an hour or so.

I requested that to isolate the issue by minimizing various factors which may be at play here, however, kindly do report back with memtest results once you have run it.

Yup did that, but same issues on boot. BSOD with a stop message, minidump attached. Will now run memtest as req.

Attachments

• Mini071810-01.dmp
Exactly the same error 0x8E with pool corruption. I'll wait for memtest's results, please do keep in mind that even if the RAM is faulty some times (but rarely) memtest may not be able to find that.

I need you to enable driver verifier.

Steps:

Before proceeding on the following steps please ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

Edit:
While digging around at technet, I came across an MS article which states that this specific error can also be caused by malware/trojan etc. Therefore, please follow these steps, and post your logs on Malware and Virus Removal forum.

Ok.
I've run verifier and it did, indeed, crash on reboot. So I'm booting into safe mode.
Ok, run verifier again with settings altered as you said, rebooting, booted normally this time.
Will power off machine and wait til its cold - this replicates the usual BSODs. Then I'll post the resultant minidump.
Many many thanks for your time and patience.

Nope just got a BSOD stop: (0xc0000005,0x8062DF25, 0xF6EC1988, 0x00000000)
Want the minidump anyway?

One of the dumps pointed at something which I think may be the issue here.

The dump came up with 0xBE (ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY) error, where an attempt was made to write to read only memory. The driver which caused this is ati2dvag.dll. This driver was released in February 2005.

0xBE error usually occurs on computers where a piece of hardware is failing or have issues.

So I suggest you to stress test your ATI graphic card with OCCT, and Video Card Memory Stress Tess. (Although I must point out that I understand your notebook's ATI GPU may be sharing memory, which brings us back to RAM, also I've never ran these two utilities on a shared memory system)

Kindly do keep us updated. Regards

Back