BSOD debugging

I've attached the minidump. Just let me know what's the shtuck. cheez! ;)

Attachments

• Mini031412-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 2
My first question is, why are you still using SP2, Microsoft stopped supporting SP2 some time ago so your machine will have vulnerabilities and won't be receiving any more security updates.

Have you had any problems updating to SP3 or have you switched off Windows Update.

It is difficult to get a conclusive result from just one minidump but the one you posted would suggest a hardware problem as it is showing an issue with a windows driver which is highly unlikely to be the cause.

Please run these following checks and only if the results come up clean would I then suggest you switch on Windows Update and get the system up to SP3.

Run the system file checker as follows.
Click on Start > Run > Type cmd in the Run box and hit Enter. At the Command Prompt type sfc /scannow (you must include the gap before the /) and hit Enter. Let the process run to completion. You will be asked to insert the XP disc, please do so.

Watch for any message displayed at the end of the scan.

If you get an error message when you insert the XP disc stating it is the wrong version you will have to slipstream it with SP3. This guide shows how to do it, you can leave out the part about SATA drivers if not required. Slipstream XP with SP3 and SATA drivers

Once complete, follow with this scan.

• Click on Start then Run and type cmd in the search box and hit Enter. At the C: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
  • You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
  • Type Y for yes, and hit Enter. Then reboot the computer. The disc check will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The disc check process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
  • When the disc check is done, it will finish loading Windows.
  • When finished click on Start then Run and type: eventvwr.msc exactly as written here with the gap before the slash , and hit Enter.
  • When Event Viewer opens, click on Application in the left pane. In the main pane scroll down until you find Winlogon under the Source column and double-click on it.
  • This is the log created after running the disc check. Click once on the Copy button
    CopybuttonXPEVshrunk.jpg
  • Come back here and right click on the message box, select Paste from the pop up menu and the log will appear.

Post the results and the disc check log and then we can run some hardware test, depending on the result.

If you get any more BSOD's please post the minidumps.

Back