BSOD Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimtheman

I've been getting BSOD errors since last week i ran anti virus programs and nuked the viruses but i still kept getting errors. The errors have been different everytime but the latest one was unexpected kernel trap mode ATMFD.DLL (0x0000007F 0x00000000 0x00000080 0xC0000000). I haven't installed anything before i got the errors.

My computer specs are

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz 1.79 GHz
384 MB of RAM

Strangely the BSOD occurs when I stop moving my mouse for about 2 minutes.
If I do not have a piece of information that might be useful please tell me.

So try first with another mouse known to be reliable on other machines, and try that possibly bad mouse on another computer.

May i ask do you happen to have Adobe Software on your system, 0x7F errors can be caused by software and the DLL file you listed is part of Adobe.
Could you possibly try uninstalling it and trying to run the Computer for a bit.
Also if you recently had Viruses you could go over to the Security Forum and have them check that the system is clean by posting a HiJackThis Log and a Malwarebytes log

Yes i have adobe software on my computer adobe flash player activex and plugin, adobe reader 8.1.0 and adobe extended language support font pack. Should i try uninstalling all of them?

Bosh and Wow, that is a new one on me... every client we have has five or more Adobe products, and we have never seen the error related to ANY Adobe software. A Gurgle search also shows no relationship.
One way to find out is to upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0. I'll bet the problem continues. Uninstall all Adobe. I'll bet the problem perpetuates..
0x0000007F errors usually relate to the Ntoskrnl.exe error, related to hardware. The only software we have seen associated with the error is Symantec Antivirus 8.0.
Hardware failure, usually memory, is the most common link to the 0x7F errors... Unexpected Kernal Node Trap...
Run Memtest86 for four hours or 7 passes, which ever is longer, and if that is not it, at least it will rule out one more speculative suggestion.

Okay raybay i'll take your suggestion i'll run the memtest 86 for about 4 hours or 7 passes i'll reply back later

Could you try uninstalling the Adobe Extended Language Support Font Pack. And if that doesn't do anything try uninstalling Adobe Reader. If this doesn't return any results and you still have problems then it is more then likely a Hardware problem after that.
It would simply be easier to rule out the Software option then go onto the long process of testing Hardware. But will see what Memtest86 finds.

I uninstalled both of the adobe programs but i still got the error so it's probably like you said it's a hardware problem. I burn the memtest iso to a cd and when i put it into the pc it boots up and i see a folder named BOOT. Click the file and there was BOOT (security catalog) and MEMTEST (Infrarecorder disc image) and when i click the memtest it asks me what to run it with, i don't know what to run with it.

It sounds like you haven't burnt the ISO to the disk properly, i haven't bothered burning one for a long time, luckily one of my College Units was about learning a different OS in this case a free Linux OS (Ubuntu) i ordered 1 of the disks, as well as the OS it came with Memtest86 as well so i just use that if i need it (Probably 2 versions behind i think).

Anyway i would suggest trying to burn it again maybe trying this ISO Recorder download V2 for your OS - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Ok next try testing your HDD using the Manufacturers test on their website, if you have a Hitachi HDD then i think they don't provide a test.

If the HDD test returns ok then start looking at the CPU and then the Graphics Card if you have one installed, it might possibly be a onboard one so that would mean you can't test that.

Use Prime95 for your CPU, download it and use the Test "Small FFT's" that will find any errors for your CPU in a matter of Minutes, try running it for 30mins to 1 hour if it doesn't find an error early on - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

I don't know who is the manufacturer of my hard drive. I looked at the hardware manager and i looked at my drive to see details but it doesn't tell me who the manufacturer is. I have a Dell Optiplex GX240

I think your HDD manufacturer is IBM but not sure.

Try downloading this.
SIW - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Simply called "System Information for Windows" it will tell you everything about your comp when you either install it or download the standalone version. Go to the Hardware area on the program and it will tell you in there what your HDD manufacturer is.

I went to storage device and looked at direct access device and got this

Model IC35L020AVVA07-0
Interface ATA
Serial Number VNC104A1C0Z0TA
Revision VA1OA51A
Product Id AVVA07-0
Product Revision VA1O

system information: manufacturer- dell computer corporation

i downloaded dynamic system analysis and i ran it. It opened cmd and was starting then it suddenly got an error and closed. Went to IMB support and found these two things.

*Edit: i think this a bad HDD testing application. could anyone give me a link to one that is better?

Thanks for pointing that out raybay totally slipped my mind about just taking it out, would have been the easiest way.

I'm not quite sure about any other Testing Application to recommend, maybe raybay might have come across 1 that is good.
Even though it doesn't sound very reliable and i can't make anything out from that .txt file you attached and the .dmp file is pretty much unreadable as shown below, it may still indicate something wrong it should have finished the test, the manufacturer wouldn't provide a bad test or unreliable test.

Inside MiniDump said:
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(8d0.ce8): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=03b40000 ebx=00178a30 ecx=00000007 edx=7c90eb94 esi=00178a08 edi=00178a60
eip=7c90eb94 esp=041be810 ebp=041be820 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00000246
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
7c90eb94 c3 ret

I still feel the HDD is the problem now that the test you ran from IBM turned out errors maybe you could try running chkdsk.

Supposedly you can use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, even though you don't have a Hitachi Drive maybe you could try that as well.
But i don't think this will work because of the difference of the drives but still try it just out of interest to see if it will work.

DFT - http://www.hitachigst.com/warranty/jsp/arma22h.jsp

Hitachi will work fine. Seagate SeaTools will work fine. Chkdsk/? is a standard and necessary tool

Every manufacturer but Toshiba has a test, and you can use the others on a Toshiba.

But you do have something peculiar that deserves further examination.

I'm burning the test on to a disc right now. Guessing that i will have to reboot my computer i will do this tomorrow since it is late. If the HDD test passes with a quick scan that means my hard drive is fine right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back